Police, primary and politness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
You've missed the two coppers standing on the street in the background wearing helmets of the pointy variety. OK, yes, its police not bikes.

Didn't miss them, the one on the left(riders right) looks as though he can see something out of shot.

Is it a "dry run" for the Olympics next year. Bikes used in place of motor vehichles due to cuts in the police budget.

Twigman

Why should an over taking car be on the otherside of the road ? Leaving a car sized gap does not mean going to the wrong side of the road. Also what is it with cyclists being happy to squeeze through tiny gaps between cars to get to the front of traffic lights and hold people up when the lights go green , but when a car overtakes them they expect a massive gap and a car to wait behind them at 12 mph for as long as it takes.

I interpret Rule 163 not as giving cyclists a whole car's width ie on the other side of the road but that the gap between my vehicle and them be as great as it might be if I was overtaking a car. This results in probably around 0.5m gap. That's as much room as I give a car when I overtake it so should be adequate for a cyclist.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I interpret Rule 163 not as giving cyclists a whole car's width ie on the other side of the road but that the gap between my vehicle and them be as great as it might be if I was overtaking a car. This results in probably around 0.5m gap. That's as much room as I give a car when I overtake it so should be adequate for a cyclist.

Would you be happy with that gap if you were on your bike and a car overtook you?

snailracer

Über Member
0.5m is not enough if the cyclist wobbles or swerves, or even puts out their arm to signal. According to the HC, the overtaking motorist should anticipate that possibility.

"213
Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make."

Mad at urage

0.5 metres is fine? So if the cyclist avoids a pothole as you pass, it's fine to hit them? Or if they hit the pothole as you pass because you force them into it, then that's fine too? If the pothole causes them to fall under your wheels that's fine?

You have heard of a slipstream I guess: If your passing breeze causes them to swerve and fall under the following car is that fine?

If it's your son or daughter that happens to, that's fine too?

Pass me at 30mph just 19 and a half inches away, I just might swerve and dig my offside bar into your precious car - suction from that slipstream you know! I guess that is also fine.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
0.5 metres is fine? So if the cyclist avoids a pothole as you pass, it's fine to hit them? Or if they hit the pothole as you pass because you force them into it, then that's fine too? If the pothole causes them to fall under your wheels that's fine?

You have heard of a slipstream I guess: If your passing breeze causes them to swerve and fall under the following car is that fine?

If it's your son or daughter that happens to, that's fine too?

Pass me at 30mph just 19 and a half inches away, I just might swerve and dig my offside bar into your precious car - suction from that slipstream you know! I guess that is also fine.

Frustrating thing is that 0.5 meters to some drivers is a generous amount of space. When on the MTB (with wide DH Risers bars) I have actually made contact with passing cars (thank the gods for bar ends). Sure it cost them more than it cost me.

Twigman

it's like shooting fish in a barrel

:smile:

0.5m is as much room as I give a car - should be enough for any vehicle.

A miss is as good as a mile ;)

Top Bottom