Police, primary and politness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

locker

Steady on there, a good chunk of the legal system exists mainly to interpret and argue about what the law is or when certain laws should be applied. Even a panel of High Court judges can disagree, whereupon a verdict goes by a majority vote, which is absurd if you think about it.

If the law was so obvious, lawyers would not be necessary. You can not reasonably expect a policeman in the street to know much about the law.

Every now and then, a court will find a cyclist guilty of "obstruction" for riding in primary. To date, these have always been cleared on appeal to a higher court, nonetheless it proves that if a court can get the law wrong, then it is entirely unrealistic to expect the police to always get it right.

"then it is entirely unrealistic to expect the police to always get it right."

Like this

View: http://youtu.be/Vy9aHV9RufM

apollo179

"then it is entirely unrealistic to expect the police to always get it right."

Like this

View: http://youtu.be/Vy9aHV9RufM

Tbf the policeman did apologise and sounds quite polite and ok from the beginning. Hes there to do a job - in this case he was mistaken and just did the sensible thing when he realised he was mistaken and apologised. For me that shows him off quite well.

snailracer

Über Member
Also entirely unrealistic:

112384_1.jpg

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
Tbf the policeman did apologise and sounds quite polite and ok from the beginning. Hes there to do a job - in this case he was mistaken and just did the sensible thing when he realised he was mistaken and apologised. For me that shows him off quite well.

+1

apollo179

Heres a question for you. When the police come to your house , if it is your custom for visitors to remove their shoes , can you ask the police to remove there shoes ?
Ive always wondered but have always been too on the defensive to broach the subject.

Bicycle

Heres a question for you. When the police come to your house , if it is your custom for visitors to remove their shoes , can you ask the police to remove there shoes ?
Ive always wondered but have always been too on the defensive to broach the subject.

We always remove our shoes in the house.

Friends and friends of our children always remove their shoes; we ask them.

We've never asked deliverymen, tradesmen, doctors or members of the emergency services (or midwives) to do so.

On reflection, it would just seem a little odd to ask. Also maybe a little rude.

I'm not sure why I think that.

In the small town where I live I observed about 8 children between 2 Bikeability Instructors riding within a foot or so of the pavement [as were the instructors], not only an invitation for a car to try and squeeze past some wobbly young riders but also a real danger of one of them catching their pedal on the pavement edge.
On another note, I ride in a club that has 3 policewomen as members and non of them, or the rest of the members have ever heard of primary or secondary, so how the heck are car drivers supposed to understand? The answer of course is common sense, as seasoned riders we know instinctively the correct position to adopt for any particular situation. The same will apply to a thoughtful driver, unfortunately there are not enough thoughtful drivers and too many cyclists who are intimidated by traffic.
Only greater numbers of cyclists on the road will eventually solve the problem, it's interesting to note that the three countries that are the worst to cycle in are the UK, USA and Australia - all English speaking. Good honest post Coppercyclist, now we need a country wide information blitz preferably led by the government. I live in hope.

When the police come to your house , if it is your custom for visitors to remove their shoes , can you ask the police to remove there shoes ?

Yes. No guarantees on the answer, though!

But full marks to the officers we've had dealings with who stopped at the door, and asked the simple "Do you have any customs you'd like us to follow?" or equivalent.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable

I've only ever been asked twice in about 7 years. I will always appologise for not removing my shoes and have only once had anybody refuse me entry because of that.

I will not remove my shoes whilst I'm at work for the same reasons as I would not take off my belt kit and body armour.

So yes you can ask, however, unless it's a pre-arranged visit of a non uniformed officer for something like a meeting over local community matters (You are more likely to get the inspector to take off thier shoes than your PC) then for Safety reasons you will be unlikely to get an officer to take off his shoes. That's not to say, once hes risked assesed the situation he won't dump shoes, body armour and belt kit on the floor put his feet up on your sofa with a cup of tea and watch the cricket with you :biggrin:

apollo179

We always remove our shoes in the house.

Friends and friends of our children always remove their shoes; we ask them.

We've never asked deliverymen, tradesmen, doctors or members of the emergency services (or midwives) to do so.

On reflection, it would just seem a little odd to ask. Also maybe a little rude.

I'm not sure why I think that.

Similar situation here.
Im not sure about being odd or rude but you could argue that some people you invite to your house it is your responsibility to accomodate them and adapt to their requirements for a one off visit.
Re the police - when they turn up unexpected and uninvited it sometimes seems that any sensitivity to issues like taking shoes off arnt considered and there in reality isnt any opportunity for asking about shoes. Its ok if you choose not to request people to remove there shoes but another thing when events take a mind of their own.
In these circumstances nobody want particularly to aggravate the police but i was genuinely wondering if it is ok to ask the police to remove there shoes before they come in.
Extreme example to illustrate : if there are 20 police coming in with a warrant to search premises do you have a right to insist they remove their shoes ?
I suspect not.
Not an anti police question btw.
Just curious.
:thumbsup: for the police.

apollo179

I've only ever been asked twice in about 7 years. I will always appologise for not removing my shoes and have only once had anybody refuse me entry because of that.

I will not remove my shoes whilst I'm at work for the same reasons as I would not take off my belt kit and body armour.

So yes you can ask, however, unless it's a pre-arranged visit of a non uniformed officer for something like a meeting over local community matters (You are more likely to get the inspector to take off thier shoes than your PC) then for Safety reasons you will be unlikely to get an officer to take off his shoes. That's not to say, once hes risked assesed the situation he won't dump shoes, body armour and belt kit on the floor put his feet up on your sofa with a cup of tea and watch the cricket with you :biggrin:

Thanks Vikeonabike youve answered my question which is what i thought.
Actually what i though was that with a warrant the answer would be no but without a warrant if you said "come in only if you take your shoes off" then i thought then maybe.
Anyway thanks.
Not worried about the body armour or belt.

Top Bottom