Police, primary and politness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

That's what I meant. (See my earlier post).

Odd then that a policeman would mistake it for 'I intent to move or turn to the left' which is normally done by wearing an SWP or WRP lapel badge and speaking out against Capitalism...

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Is the OP from the UK? If not I can understand, if not I am at a loss. Also I am sorry but I misread your post as my sleeping tablets are kicking in :laugh:

Tim Hall

Slowing down: Right arm extended, palm down. Move palm up and down.

Turning left, while in a motor vehicle: Right arm extended, circular motion with hand.

Interestingly (FSVO interestingly) the pdf here says the signals are also for use by pedal cyclists and those in charge of horses. I find if I want to show I'm turning left, I stick my left arm out.

Bobtoo

Über Member
Interestingly (FSVO interestingly) the pdf here says the signals are also for use by pedal cyclists and those in charge of horses. I find if I want to show I'm turning left, I stick my left arm out.

They've got a cheek using the Crystal Mark on their literature (something I've pointed out to them before on another issue). It's the motorbike signals that apply to cyclists and horse riders, but you would never know by reading that.

BSRU

A Human Being
Well its valid, but why wouldn't you just use the left arm, so I don't think many would be expecting it

I do not think the vast majority of road users would have a clue, they would just assume right arm out their turning right, palm down or circular motions would not make any difference.

I do not think the vast majority of road users would have a clue, they would just assume right arm out their turning right, palm down or circular motions would not make any difference.

Brings back to mind the old joke about those two indications meaning "I'm drying my nail varnish"

classic33

Leg End Member

The main road went to the right, so if I was staying on the main road, I'd have no need to signal. I wasn't travelling at any great speed, nor was the police car behind me.

Got a bit uncomfortable with it following so close, at the speed I was doing, faster traffic passing, I decide to pull in & let it go. Right arm gave the signal but my intention was to move to the left, the kerb, and let it go past. It did pass but on the wrong side of the road entering a junction

Top Bottom