Police, primary and politness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have to say that in my recent incident an officer was only dispatched because the driver was standing next to me getting agitated and clenching his fists, by the time the officer arrived the driver had left the scene.
On reflection, as soon as driver left, for the second time, I should have contacted the police to inform them there was no need to send anyone.

I actually expected just to report it then receive a witness statement to fill in then let traffic section deal with it, as they did last October.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
gallery_15489_192_42322.jpg

This is what we need, more Bobbies on bicycles :thumbsup: Evenin' all :biggrin:

pshore

This reminds me ...

The other week I was waiting on the pavement of a 30mph zone round a slight bend. I just happened to be wearing my motorcycle gear: black trousers, hi-viz yellow jacket, not unlike the pic above.

I reckon about one third of the cars were hard on the brakes as they spotted me. I was only about 500 yards past a speed camera but nearish to where it changes to 40mph.

I couldn't decide if I was about to cause a crash or doing a public service.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
From reading this thread it seems to me there are two things the police could usefully do to improve matters:

1. If you know the law, apply it. If you don't don't make the law up. Either let it go for trivial matters or find out for serious ones
  2. Just because you have to deal with a lot of the lowest lifeforms in society don't assume everyone you encounter is one of them. So don't treat that cyclist you are dealing with as if they have a hidden career as a drug crazed gun running hardened criminal. Most people are just ordinary people and deserve to be treated as such.

Exactly the way it should be...no arguments from me RL.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I would also add:

3. The person the officer is dealing with may also know more about the relevant law than the officer. When someone politely points out the law, don't get arsey with them. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't make the member of the public wrong.

going by recent threads here, it does

Dan B

Disengaged member
I would also add:

3. The person the officer is dealing with may also know more about the relevant law than the officer. When someone politely points out the law, don't get arsey with them. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't make the member of the public wrong.
Ah, but arguing with the police means you fail the "attitude test", so are ipso facto wrong and deserve to be punished.

snailracer

Über Member
I would also add:

Too bad there won't be a judge in attendance to decide whose argument takes precedence.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've never failed the attitude test, but have on occasion advised police officer of relevant offences - and one case reminded them they were obliged to breathalyse a driver who had hit a cyclist. That particular officer got a bit arsey - but his colleague reigned him in...

Closest I've come whilst riding a bike was indicating my intention to slow down/stop. Driver of the police car insisted that what I'd actually been doing was indicating a left turn. He'd cut across me at a junction where the main road continued to the right.

In order to avoid me he ended up entering the junction on the wrong side of the road, claiming it was my fault! for not turning left.

Bicycle

Closest I've come whilst riding a bike was indicating my intention to slow down/stop. Driver of the police car insisted that what I'd actually been doing was indicating a left turn. He'd cut across me at a junction where the main road continued to the right.

In order to avoid me he ended up entering the junction on the wrong side of the road, claiming it was my fault! for not turning left.

Bizarre he didn't mistake it for a right-turn signal....

Why would you indicate a left turn with your right hand?

(I learned all this stuff in the 70s, so forgive me if my knowledge of hand signals is out of date - I thought the 'slow down or stop' one was right arm, palm downwards)

Top Bottom