Police stopping cyclists in Preston

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
A wise man speaks because they have something to say, a fool speaks because they have to say something.

You know you have lost the argument when you start playing the man rather than the ball :hello:.

PK99

Legendary Member
They find drunk drivers by being alert and noticing erratic driving patters and/or pop into busy pubs in the course of their patrolling and note any drunks who may be likely to drive. In the same way, they catch bike (and other) thieves by patrolling the beat. Above all, they should respond promptly and urgently to reported crimes, not leaving it hours/days to turn up. I do speak from bitter experience. I reported a suspected burglary - lights on and a van outside a neighbour's house when the owners were on holiday. Ringing 999 from Somerset, I was connected to a control room in SCOTLAND and asked whether I could actually see intruders in the house. They told me that they would not respond unless I walked across the fields to the empty house and looked through the windows to see if a crime was 'in progress'. I have had other similar experiences when reporting crimes, hence my scepticism.

I have a different experience

there has been a spate of burglaries and thefts from sheds in my area.

a few weeks ago i sent a simple email to my local "Community Team" saying someone had tried to get into my garage, but had failed and nothing stolen.

later the same day 2 pcso's came round for a butchers ".. to see the sort of garages they are trying to break into" and give advice on security

Over the years i've had a few burglaries/attempted burglaries, each time the service from the police has been very prompt and efficient

On one of them i sacred the guy off my roof at 10:30 one morning and was taken to view the local mug shot album, spotted the scrote and the next time they picked him up he was prosecuted for my "job".

on another occasion i was mugged 5 minutes away from home, phoned police immediately they were here in 5 minutes and i was driven round the are in a panda car looking for the scrotes.

screenman

Legendary Member
I could tell you the colour and model of my old one, but cannot remember anything else about it, green 308 gt4.

The 11% of salary does not stack up, nowhere near enough in the pot for a reasonable pension. Our local Bobby is retiring soon after 30 years in the job and he is now only 48, I have two close friends who are retired policeman both have now been retired over 30 years.

Can you not just tell I am not a civil servant with a nice fat pension, holiday pay, sickness pay, cheap BUPA even private education paid for for some children of certain parents.

doog

Really? I was under the impression that as there is no fund, the officer paying 11% of his salary is actually paying for the people who retired before him. He/she is relying on his replacment to pay 11% of their salary to cover his retirement, and as the numbers fluctuate and as life expectancy increases, the council taxpayer makes up the difference.

sweeping statements that taxpayers pay for police pension is the point I was getting at.

It is correct that contributions are falling short at the moment (due to new recruits paying in 9% over 35 years) but are due to surpass requirements in a few years without any increases. As you say they fluctuate.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1576715"]
These are not 'similar' initiatives though. They are 'remote' initiatives. Imagine if you were driving to work on Monday, and the Police stopped 50% of the cars to check ownership, based on whether or not the person looked like they should be driving that particular car and nothing else.
[/quote]

Is there any evidence to suggest that 50% of cyclists are being stopped?

doog

I could tell you the colour and model of my old one, but cannot remember anything else about it, green 308 gt4.

The 11% of salary does not stack up, nowhere near enough in the pot for a reasonable pension. Our local Bobby is retiring soon after 30 years in the job and he is now only 48, I have two close friends who are retired policeman both have now been retired over 30 years.

Can you not just tell I am not a civil servant with a nice fat pension, holiday pay, sickness pay, cheap BUPA even private education paid for for some children of certain parents.

you probably had the chance to be one...what stopped you ? more fool you
wave.gif

screenman

Legendary Member
Targeting riders
Police officers are of course not stopping every cyclist out riding their bike. People are only stopped from riding their bikes if an officer believes that the bike could be stolen, Lancashire Police told us. For instance, a man who is riding a woman’s bike or a child’s bike will be stopped as that instantly rouses suspicion.

Results so far
One seized bikes has already been returned to the rightful owner. Result!

screenman

Legendary Member
Doog, not really I have always enjoyed being self employed and giving others the opportunity of work. I also intend to run my business until at least 75 if possible.

In all honesty I feel there are many civil servants thoroughly deserving of their pensions, but I am sure you also know of a few who maybe not so deserving. I just wish things were clearer about who is paying for it, my pal says he used his pot up in the first 7 years of his up to now 30.

screenman

Legendary Member
Maggot, no that means that many people who had their bikes nicked did not provide sufficient information for them to be returned quickly, or that they may be needed for future evidence.

Funny you would think an ex south London car dealer like myself would be joining the objection brigade.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1576770"]
So, the other 16 were incorrectly seized then? That's a not very good success rate is it?
[/quote]

That does not follow - they might have been nicked but the real owner not yet identified

screenman

Legendary Member
That is enough for me guys as I have the BHF Robin Hood ride in the morning 37 miles off road, hope some nice lady officer stops me for a chat about bikes. Something about women in uniform :biggrin:

screenman

Legendary Member
:biggrin: Good one.

Thanks to all who have helped me pass some time tonight. May the tea leaves stay out of your sheds tonight and for ever.

Norm

[QUOTE 1576774"]With cars they are allowed to continue on their way, but given a 'producer' aren't they? [/quote]Well, if we start with the point that cars are only allowed to continue on their way if the police officer is satisfied that the driver is who they say they are (recognise that) then your fairness question is answered.

[QUOTE 1576775"] Well, according to their own website, only one had been nicked. [/quote]You've found something on their site? I couldn't, any chance of a link please.

[QUOTE 1576775"] I have no picture of myself on my Trek mtb, what am I to do? [/quote] That depends what relevance you think a picture of yourself on your bike would be.

Top Bottom