Police traced me after I posted stolen bike on here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Brilliant news, I had a phone call from a Sgt at Islington police station to say that they had my bike.

He said he has a 'thing' about stolen bikes and when he saw my bike in their yard decided to check out the bike forums. He saw my earlier post and then found me via my police report. Apparently he reunited another owner to their bike this morning as well!

Not sure when I will get it back as it is currently classed as 'evidence', but fingers crossed it will be soon.

So for any others out there who have had their bike stolen, there is a chance you could get it back if you post a good description on here and file a police report. :smile:

Great news you got it back but you would think the stolen report would have been enough and that in this day and age they would put stolen reports on a searchable database.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Great news you got it back but you would think the stolen report would have been enough and that in this day and age they would put stolen reports on a searchable database.
Get a grip! That is far to logical :biggrin:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The sgt at Islington shouldn't have had to check the cycling forums to see if it was nicked.

The police have access to several property websites including immobilise, bikeregister, datatag to name a few. These would have been checked as part of booking the bike into the station.

If bike owners can't be bothered to register their pride and joy on a police accessible database, then don't complain that the police don't do their job. Owners have a resposibility to ensure that their property is identifiable and traceable.

Yes. Police should obviously still investigate, but we should make it as easy as possible for them - it will greatly increase the odds of getting your property back.

headcoat

Über Member
Which site do people recommend?
I have the BikeShepard stickers (previously bike revolution), but am also in the process of adding other items to Immobilise

OP
OP
Flyingfox

Flyingfox

Went and ID'd my bike today, I had to make a statement as the scroat who nicked it used it as an offensive weapon by throwing it at a WPC causing her a really nasty injury to her leg. I also might have to attend court!

Unfortnately that meains I won't be getting my bike back for at least a week, but they are at least throwing the book at him.

I was amazed at how many bikes there were at the station - some brand new.

She said that the best thing anyone can do is make a note of the frame no. as this is how their database works. Having the make, model & colour is too 'unspecfic'. I didn't report my frame number as I couldn't find it at home - although I did write it down when I bought it.

porteous

Veteran
Frame numbers used to be stamped on the BB (All mine are but I only ride pre 1990 bikes). All my stuff is also on Immobilise, dead easy to put stuff in with details, photos, etc, and also free.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Went and ID'd my bike today, I had to make a statement as the scroat who nicked it used it as an offensive weapon by throwing it at a WPC causing her a really nasty injury to her leg. I also might have to attend court!

Unfortnately that meains I won't be getting my bike back for at least a week, but they are at least throwing the book at him.

I was amazed at how many bikes there were at the station - some brand new.

She said that the best thing anyone can do is make a note of the frame no. as this is how their database works. Having the make, model & colour is too 'unspecfic'. I didn't report my frame number as I couldn't find it at home - although I did write it down when I bought it.

Mine is stamped below the bottom bracket. Turn it upside down and take a look.

Merlin

If bike owners can't be bothered to register their pride and joy on a police accessible database, then don't complain that the police don't do their job. Owners have a resposibility to ensure that their property is identifiable and traceable.

Don't fall into this trap of thinking that property owners are responsible for thefts if they don't take precautions - thieves are responsible for thefts. Insurance companies are starting to do this - my home contents insurance is only valid if I lock all downstairs windows when there's no one in the house. I'd rather they use their size and influence to get the police and courts to take burglary more seriously, catch criminals and put them in prison for a sentence commensurate with the distress they cause.

Having said that, I've got an Immobitag and have registered my bike but I would prefer that it wasn't necessary.

Merlin

the snail

Guru
... I would prefer that it wasn't necessary.

Merlin

yes, in an ideal world you wouldn't need to lock your bike or worry about it getting nicked. I see a looter went to jail for stealing £3 worth of bottled water, it would be nice to think that bike thieves got similar treatment.

Top Bottom