Polishing my bits - fnar fnar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
So I decided that I wanted to add some bling to my bike without actually replacing any parts.

I have started polishing mystem, and Sturmey Archer chainring already and I am quite pleased with the results so far. Excuse the pic quality on some of the pics, these are photos taken with my phone, of pictures taken with my camera - I can't find the right cable at home! I've just bought some more sand paper, so hopefully will get a better finish tomorrow.

Before
Untitled3.jpg

After
IMG_20120820_162621.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bling

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I'm more impressed by the way you've transformed the fence into a radiator :tongue:

Seriously though, nice work fella, partial to a bit of bling myself :thumbsup:

Should keep the frost out of the garden this winter.

I'm not sure whether to strip and polish the crank arms too. Might not look so good/ be a real pain to get right. The picture doesn't do it justice though, it looks awesome in real life, and all done with no power tools, and in the time it takes to watch the Expendables ^_^

colly

Re member eR
That looks great. I have a black chainset which I want to shine up and if it turns out anything like that I'll be well pleased. ^_^

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
That looks great ? I have a black chainset which I want to shine up and if it turns out anything like that I'll be well pleased. ^_^

Not sure if you like it?

I loved sanding and polishing parts on Mrs W_M_B's old bike, it's really addictive, and the results always look awesome, even about half way through. Once you start you end up planning to sand and polish EVERYTHING you own, until you remember how time consuming and fiddly it is. :blink:

I'll be getting the power tools out tommorow though and really go to town on that crank.

colly

Re member eR
Not sure if you like it?

I loved sanding and polishing parts on Mrs W_M_B's old bike, it's really addictive, and the results always look awesome, even about half way through. Once you start you end up planning to sand and polish EVERYTHING you own, until you remember how time consuming and fiddly it is. :blink:

I'll be getting the power tools out tommorow though and really go to town on that crank.

Damn question marks, always barging in when they aren't wanted.

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Chainring is done now, and I tackled a brake lever and the stem front bit:

Here's the lever, with it's unpolished partner:
DSC01885-Copy.jpg

Here's the chainring:
DSC01881-Copy.jpg

Bits all together:
DSC01889-Copy.jpg

Chainring back on:
DSC01896.jpg

Lever back on:
DSC01901.jpg

And stem front bit back on, not looking so great though:
DSC01904.jpg

That was fun! :wahhey:

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
The lever took about an hour. The hardest part was getting rid of the anodised finish and the graded sanding was quick after that.

Sent from my Orange Monte Carlo using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom