Poll: Would you commute on a...

Would you commute on a fixie without brakes through London?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I was thinking about this when a group of fixies that I allowed past through some dense bushes (council are cutting them down ATM) all had brakes. I was thinking about a video where a fixie was using their shoe to brake when going down hill, and numerous videos of fixies locking the rear wheel to perform a skid intentially.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
How about the "no, because it's illegal" option? :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't get your poll. I see many fixie riders commuting in London everyday.
Why choose London and not any other city?
It's no problem. London is a very safe city to cycle in.
Why are you making out that cycling fixed in London is dangerous when it clearly isn't?

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
At my speed using brakes is redundant. My gears I'm to lazy to change. Does that make me a fearless fixie commuter? :biggrin:

Yes.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If you can leg brake efficiently enough that you can stop when you need to. Then it wouldn't be hard, I see many people who do it each week.

I've ridden fixed in London, and felt a front brake was required and a rear brake was very useful.

I think I might ride in London with only a front brake. Might.... Maybe....

I see loads of people do it, but they look less at ease than I feel with my 2 brakes.

I take my ficksopholous fixed-gear fixie into the Malvern Hills and out around the Beacons.

On those roads, I would not even think of going without two brakes.

sabian92

Über Member
I wouldn't commute on anything, anywhere without brakes. It's f*cking madness to do that.

I always thought that with a true fixed wheel the locking rear counted (Legally) as a braking system

Bikes (both motorised and pedal powered) need 2 separate braking systems - that's why you can't have 1 lever operating both brakes.

Top Bottom