Polluting Motorway Speed limit may be cut to 60mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

According to the bods who did my last speed awareness course - speed cameras are only put on accident black spots, i.e. there has to be a statistical link for the jusitifcation.

Whether this is the same for motorways or even true or not, i dont know.

[J21 Leicester is always relatively heavy]

They have a history for siting camera's within a certain area...that may not be on the same road, or even in the same speed limit.
Plenty of cameras I can think of which have been specifically sited to hide them from drivers until they are on top ofthem.
If they are purely looking to slow drivers down for a safety aspect and not raise money from them, then they should give plenty of warning to the position ofthe camera.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If they are looking for compliance with the speed limit then they should hide cameras and not warn people about where they are, IMHO. This is how it is done in Australia IIRC. There would be a sudden rash of speeding fines, lots of public outrage about this new front in the 'war on motorists', but within a few months drivers would obey speed limits far more widely.

The current system with bright yellow boxes and excessive warning before hand allows people to know where they won't get caught speeding, and just like other laws such as mobile phone use (or cyclist RLJs), it's the fear of being caught that makes people comply, far more than the punishment. This was proven in Oxfordshire when they announced that all the speed cameras had been turned off, and average road speeds in the area went up as people knew they wouldn't be caught.

As an aside, it's funny how catching law breaking motorists is considered a 'money raising exercise'. There's a very simple way to never give the government any money through speed cameras. ;)

Last edited:

Linford

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Plenty of corners around this way on NSLs or even 50mph roads which pose significant danger to the average driver in the average vehcile if they attempted to take it at the posted limit.
Given that the motorways are statistically the safest roads in the land, I think this idea is a bit of nonsense.

Only an idiot would drive constantly at a posted speed limit without regard for changes in direction or other hazards.

GC

Linford

Only an idiot would drive constantly at a posted speed limit without regard for changes in direction or other hazards.

GC

The one I have in mind is where a local club cyclist was killed on his roadie in a 50mph limit when a car pulled out on him. He was clocking near the speed limit, and neither slowed for the bends, the side turnings which the car pulled out of, or for the fact that he was doing it at 10:30pm without lights

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The one I have in mind is where a local club cyclist was killed on his roadie in a 50mph limit when a car pulled out on him. He was clocking near the speed limit, and neither slowed for the bends, the side turnings which the car pulled out of, or for the fact that he was doing it at 10:30pm without lights

In a post criticising a call for widespread average speed cameras, you referred to the danger to an "average driver in the average vehcile [sic]" if he kept to a posted limit.
What's this story of a cyclist got to do with anything?
GC

byegad

Legendary Member
I've noticed that the quality of debates and your level of participation in them are inversely proportional. That being the case, I shall provide you with no further encouragement.
If that's aimed at me User482. I'd like to know how I've offended you.

Edit. Unless it was you trundling up the A1(M) in an Austin Cambridge. :banghead:

Linford

In a post criticising a call for widespread average speed cameras, you referred to the danger to an "average driver in the average vehcile [sic]" if he kept to a posted limit.
What's this story of a cyclist got to do with anything?
GC

Speed limits should be an advisory, and over and above the advice...drive or ride at a speed which you can stop withint the distance you see to be safe.

What has motorway speed limits got to do with cycling anyway ?

Linford

If that's aimed at me User482. I'd like to know how I've offended you.

Edit. Unless it was you trundling up the A1(M) in an Austin Cambridge. :banghead:

It wasn't for your benefit, it wasfor mine...I made User482 feel like a bit of a tit a few years ago, and he is a poor loser. That is why he pops up on random threads occasionally to troll mine...bitter and twisted bile and venom is his trademark.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
I'd be delighted if we had a 50mph national speed limit. I'm in a minority and know it won't happen any time soon....
Spain was hellishly rational in announcing a speed reduction Pollution cut, balance of payments cut, road maintenance costs cut etc etc'.
Then they backtracked and announced 'sod it, we will go bankrupt anyway'.
And funnily enough, its is maybe the lowest cost way of combating climate change.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
If they are looking for compliance with the speed limit then they should hide cameras and not warn people about where they are, IMHO. This is how it is done in Australia IIRC. ...................
As an aside, it's funny how catching law breaking motorists is considered a 'money raising exercise'. There's a very simple way to never give the government any money through speed cameras. ;)

Yeh, funny how us British 'like our freedom' unlike those introvert Aussies !

Top Bottom