Polluting Motorway Speed limit may be cut to 60mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its cobblers, just an excuse to bang up more speed cameras, Save lives my ass. As for the green argument as anyone ever tested every car to see which vehicles do actually pump out greater levels of co2/km at 70 rather than 60? I have yet to own a car that is more economical to run at 30mph than on a motorway run at 70.

jonesy

Guru
Its cobblers, just an excuse to bang up more speed cameras, Save lives my ass. As for the green argument as anyone ever tested every car to see which vehicles do actually pump out greater levels of co2/km at 70 rather than 60? I have yet to own a car that is more economical to run at 30mph than on a motorway run at 70.
And this tells us what exactly about 60mph on a motorway?

byegad

Legendary Member
Average speed cameras on motorways would sort it straight away. You've only got to see how the traffic flows without people tailgating and causing the brake light wave-effect-thingy.
Everyone travelling along nicely at a steady speed was probably what the motorway designers were thinking all those years ago.

You are right until we get Mr Awkward Swine who will insist on driving at 53mph in the overtaking lane for mile after mile. There's plenty of them, along with the clown who used to drive North on the A1(M) in County Durham every Tuesday at 6pm at 40 mph in his 1960s Austin Cambridge Shooting Brake. They are out to cause chaos and no amount of legislation will stop them.

Linford

Look on the bright side: if it were in Current Affairs and Debates, we wouldn't have the great benefit of your wisdom.

If I didn't post on this thread, you'd have no reason to post outside there either...yet again you come to troll....why not play the ball, and not the player for a change...or is that beyond you nowadays...

U

User482

If I didn't post on this thread, you'd have no reason to post outside there either...yet again you come to troll....why not play the ball, and not the player for a change...or is that beyond you nowadays...

I've noticed that the quality of debates and your level of participation in them are inversely proportional. That being the case, I shall provide you with no further encouragement.

Linford

I've noticed that the quality of debates and your level of participation in them are inversely proportional. That being the case, I shall provide you with no further encouragement.

I've noticed the quality of the debates ceases when continually you drag it away from the subject matter to make a personal attack...If I singled you out on a random thread to troll you in the way which you have just done, I'd rightly be excluded from it.
Now is there any chance you can go and do one, because you clearly want to add nothing more to the debate than your bile and venom...

Last edited:

jonesy

Guru
That slower is not necessarily more efficient.
And who do you think is suggesting something as simplistic as that? Do you really think the HA is so stupid that it would propose a 60mph limit without any evidence on the relationship between speed and emissions? Did it not occur to you to do a very simple Google search...? And there is the minor matter that CO2 is not the same thing as local air pollution...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Oh dear, now I don't know which way to vote - according to your experience, or according to GrasB's.

Try not to worry your pretty little head about it.

Davidc

Guru
I'd be delighted if we had a 50mph national speed limit. I'm in a minority and know it won't happen any time soon.

My experience of fuel consumption is rather different from off's. My fuel consumption improves as speed goes down. Been the same for every car I've ever used. Air resistance is the key, as it is on a bike. Perhaps he drives in a vacuum. Perhaps he has the only car with a Cd of 0.

Linford

The bright side for whom? :huh:

Personally, I can't wait until they have average speed cameras on every motorway and A road.

Plenty of corners around this way on NSLs or even 50mph roads which pose significant danger to the average driver in the average vehcile if they attempted to take it at the posted limit.
Given that the motorways are statistically the safest roads in the land, I think this idea is a bit of nonsense.

Last edited:

Linford

I'd be delighted if we had a 50mph national speed limit. I'm in a minority and know it won't happen any time soon.

My experience of fuel consumption is rather different from off's. My fuel consumption improves as speed goes down. Been the same for every car I've ever used. Air resistance is the key, as it is on a bike. Perhaps he drives in a vacuum. Perhaps he has the only car with a Cd of 0.

Fuel consumption is significantly better at 50mph than at 35mph in my car due to the speed which the auto box overdrive locks the torque converter.

Sara_H

Guru
We have rellies in Notingham so travel the M1 between sheffield and nottingham frequently. A few years back there were major works on one section, with a 50mph speed limit enforced by avaraging cameras.

I noticed that the avaraging cameras were very effective at enforcing the speed limit, I felt safer in slower moving traffic and that there was a massive benefit in fuel economy with negligible effect on journey time.

Top Bottom