England : Cheshire Polocini Winter Sprinter - Sunday 4th March 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think you mean 'bad-ass mean dude'?

I have been chasing the nurses up and down the hospital stairs Benny Hill style today ;)

Katherine

Guru

Thanks! I wonder why we didn't get an email.

EVENT UPDATE 28TH FEBRUARY: Unfortunately we are cancelling the event due to the current weather situation. We appreciate that the roads could be clear by Sunday but we usually ride or drive the route several times in the days leading up to the event. Without these safety checks we cannot finish our risk assessments.

We are in the process of arranging a new date for the ride with the event HQ and our suppliers. Once confirmed we will offer to either move your entry to another event or we will process you a complete refund. We will confirm this on Friday 2nd March via email.

We apologise for any inconvenience but rider safety is always our first priority. We are also really, really sorry if you now end up being dragged around the Trafford centre or even worse have to suffer the hell of Ikea rather than ride your bikes but this is not a decision that has been taken lightly.

Regards

AL

U

User33236

Thanks! I wonder why we didn't get an email.

EVENT UPDATE 28TH FEBRUARY: Unfortunately we are cancelling the event due to the current weather situation. We appreciate that the roads could be clear by Sunday but we usually ride or drive the route several times in the days leading up to the event. Without these safety checks we cannot finish our risk assessments.

We are in the process of arranging a new date for the ride with the event HQ and our suppliers. Once confirmed we will offer to either move your entry to another event or we will process you a complete refund. We will confirm this on Friday 2nd March via email.

We apologise for any inconvenience but rider safety is always our first priority. We are also really, really sorry if you now end up being dragged around the Trafford centre or even worse have to suffer the hell of Ikea rather than ride your bikes but this is not a decision that has been taken lightly.

Regards

AL
There’s unfortunately a number of things being cancelled across the board that are coming out on social media with a promise of more information at some time in the future.

I find it disappointing that they don’t directly address those concerned via email in the first instance.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Barstewards! I was looking forward to this, had oiled my chain an everything....... :whistle:

Polocini

Veteran
Katharine/Scottish Geek - it clearly states on the website that we don't send out loads of pointless emails and all event updates will be posted on the event page. I also posted on facebook and updated the British Cycling website.

You may think it's just reel off an email but if I send out a bulk email to the 280+ plus people that entered I have to use an email system such as mailchimp which takes time to set up. The highest open rate I've ever had for an event specific post ride email is 71% so it will not even hit everyone. Then there's the emails that bounce back. Plus there's the time involved. I'll get around a hundred or so replies. I'll then reply back and sometimes end up chatting it takes more and more time..........

Entrants need to take responsibility for reading event info when they enter and then checking on an events status in exceptional weather circumstances such as these.

In eight years I've never had to cancel an event due to weather and it wasn't a decision that was taken lightly. I've also processed almost every entrant a full refund (finishing up this morning). I hope this explains things clearly. It's cost me a bucket load of money to cancel and as we have never done bulk refunds before it was quite possibly the most boring admin I've ever done as each one is done individually. And for the sympathy vote I've got a broken wrist and can only type with one hand!!!

Hopefully we can put on a nice event in October and I'll see you then!

Cheers
AL

U

User33236

Katharine/Scottish Geek - it clearly states on the website that we don't send out loads of pointless emails and all event updates will be posted on the event page. I also posted on facebook and updated the British Cycling website.

You may think it's just reel off an email but if I send out a bulk email to the 280+ plus people that entered I have to use an email system such as mailchimp which takes time to set up. The highest open rate I've ever had for an event specific post ride email is 71% so it will not even hit everyone. Then there's the emails that bounce back. Plus there's the time involved. I'll get around a hundred or so replies. I'll then reply back and sometimes end up chatting it takes more and more time..........

Entrants need to take responsibility for reading event info when they enter and then checking on an events status in exceptional weather circumstances such as these.

In eight years I've never had to cancel an event due to weather and it wasn't a decision that was taken lightly. I've also processed almost every entrant a full refund (finishing up this morning). I hope this explains things clearly. It's cost me a bucket load of money to cancel and as we have never done bulk refunds before it was quite possibly the most boring admin I've ever done as each one is done individually. And for the sympathy vote I've got a broken wrist and can only type with one hand!!!

Cheers
AL
I’m not quite sure how to take the tone of your post so will leave it at that.

I appreciate it take time to send out emails and that people do not wish to receive pointless ones but cancellation of an event IMHO is not pointless. On the flip side it’s reasonable to assume folk would be checking up on an event status given the weather.

Sorry to hear about your wrist and hope it heals quickly.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
And for the sympathy vote I've got a broken wrist and can only type with one hand!!!

Only a wrist, amateur :tongue:, I broke my neck and fractured my skull less than a week ago!

Thanks for sorting out the refunds so promptly, that's one less thing for me to worry about claiming off the person that knocked me off my bike. Looking forward to the replacement event, I will be there if it doesn't clash with anything :okay:

Don't worry about the grumblers, there will always be a few regardless of how hard you try. Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom