1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pooooo!!

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Cathryn, 8 Jun 2008.

1. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

How should I best clean my touring shoes? We both have specialized taho shoes (Richard's are cleated, mine aren't) and they stink!!! :biggrin:

Any bright ideas?

2. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

washing machine? or soapy water in sink or bucket and scrubbing brush.

3. aidanp

aidanp New Member

Toothbrush and the grit will be good to remove the stubborn grit from your teeth..

4. OP
    OP
    Cathryn

I thought soapy water but didn't want to do something stupid and ruin them. Thanks!!

5. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

6. palinurus

palinurus Guru

Soak in mild disinfectant solution overnight then wash and allow to dry. That's what I do anyway.

7. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

I have two pairs of Tahos (both with SPD cleats) and have washed them a few times in the machine. Put them on a cool wash (max 30), slow spin, perhaps on a delicates cycle, and dry them naturally. Remove the laces first and remove the insoles (but put them in the machine with the shoes)

Mine have not suffered in any way.

Jay

ps I loved the CGOAB account of the trip

8. OP
    OP
    Cathryn

Thanks for the advice and the comments as well. I'm working on the proper version now...I think it'll take forever, but it's great to look back on, isn't it!!

9. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Ask Greg LeMond, I think he had a problem with this once......

10. xilios

xilios Über Member

I put the same question on yahoo and most said freezing to kill the bacteria (with a good wash afterwards) would do the job. I'll probably try this later on with our shoes.
    We have hung them outside to air out for a few days now, but are convinced that the bacteria that causes the smell will have to be removed.
    Another said diluted amonia would definetly kill the bacteria, not sure about this though.

11. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

They may well have done, but it's twaddle. Freezing just stops bacteria multiplying until they are warm again. Salmonella, for instance, can survive for years at a temperature your home freezer can't even get down to.

Boiling will kill most bacteria, at the expense of ruining your shoes.

Your smelly shoes will stop smelling after you have left them somewhere warm and dry for a few days, even if you do nothing else with them.

12. xilios

xilios Über Member

13. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I thought he suffered from smelly dick?

14. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Maybe, I don't know, but I do know that he shat himself in a stage of the TdF and it went all over him and the bike

15. just jim

just jim Guest

Thanks for sharing!