Pooooo!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

washing machine? or soapy water in sink or bucket and scrubbing brush.

jay clock

Massive member
I have two pairs of Tahos (both with SPD cleats) and have washed them a few times in the machine. Put them on a cool wash (max 30), slow spin, perhaps on a delicates cycle, and dry them naturally. Remove the laces first and remove the insoles (but put them in the machine with the shoes)

Mine have not suffered in any way.

Jay

ps I loved the CGOAB account of the trip

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice and the comments as well. I'm working on the proper version now...I think it'll take forever, but it's great to look back on, isn't it!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Ask Greg LeMond, I think he had a problem with this once......

xilios

Veteran
Cathryn said:
How should I best clean my touring shoes? We both have specialized taho shoes (Richard's are cleated, mine aren't) and they stink!!! :biggrin:

Any bright ideas?

I put the same question on yahoo and most said freezing to kill the bacteria (with a good wash afterwards) would do the job. I'll probably try this later on with our shoes.
We have hung them outside to air out for a few days now, but are convinced that the bacteria that causes the smell will have to be removed.
Another said diluted amonia would definetly kill the bacteria, not sure about this though.

ASC1951

Guru
xilios said:
I put the same question on yahoo and most said freezing to kill the bacteria.
They may well have done, but it's twaddle. Freezing just stops bacteria multiplying until they are warm again. Salmonella, for instance, can survive for years at a temperature your home freezer can't even get down to.

Boiling will kill most bacteria, at the expense of ruining your shoes.

Your smelly shoes will stop smelling after you have left them somewhere warm and dry for a few days, even if you do nothing else with them.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Maybe, I don't know, but I do know that he shat himself in a stage of the TdF and it went all over him and the bike

Top Bottom