poor bird...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
:eek: :sad:

i'm the bird saviour not the bird killer plus as he could flap it quite strongly i was kind of hoping the vet might be able to do something

I know the feeling and it is hard but you have to let your head rule your heart and end the thing's suffering asap as others have pointed out. I've lost count of the number of half dead rabbits and pheasants I've wrung the necks of hereabouts after they've been hit by cars. It's bloody horrible but for the best.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Oh yes, and then he was having a go at people who wear cycling tops the other day, because, and get this, they clearly AREN'T professionals! :rolleyes::wacko::wacko:

I kinda agree with him - if you're not a racer (pro or amateur) why would you wear a team jersey other than to fake it / boost your testosterone.

Team jerseys are for teamsters only.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh yes, and then he was having a go at people who wear cycling tops the other day, because, and get this, they clearly AREN'T professionals! :rolleyes::wacko::wacko:

I kinda agree with him - if you're not a racer (pro or amateur) why would you wear a team jersey other than to fake it / boost your testosterone.

Team jerseys are for teamsters only.

What about being a fan? Isn't that why people wear football shirts?

And how about my Cyclechat top. Cyclechat is my 'team', even if I only represent it at Olympic level cafe stopping.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What about being a fan? Isn't that why people wear football shirts?

And how about my Cyclechat top. Cyclechat is my 'team', even if I only represent it at Olympic level cafe stopping.

Yes, I mean, what does it actually matter anyway??

He has a camoflagued desert hat, should I say to him that he can't wear it because he's not in the Army??
That's how silly the argument is.

Buying tops, you know you are getting clothing that has been designed speicifically for cycling, if you are a fan, then it's nice just to have something you can relate too, or, if like me, you tend to pick things on their colour and design, you have a top that you like, can use for it's purpose in life, AND best of all, you have the little extra pockets at the back too!

To those who say I shouldn't be wearing them - GET A GRIP, WHAT DOES IT REALLY MATTER??!!

By the way, as well as liking the colour of it, I picked my (2009 'cos it was going cheap) AGR2 top because I knew that hardly anyone would know what it was, and anyway, it's not like they are a big succesful team like Astana or Coefedis, so I'm not being a fanboy to anything really, I just have a nice top. Simple!

Incidentally, I saw someone out with an old one on yesterday, but I much prefer the current white blue and brown version.

I also have a black and yellow Santini one for blending into the background (it also matches my bike), and I got the black Katusha one, not realising from the picture on the website just how 'LOOK AT ME!!' it is. I will wear this early in the morning methinks!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
We rescued a rook in a similarly bad way. He'd obviously been hit by a car and both wings were broken.

We installed him in the shed and bound his wings up for a week or so. We knew there was little hope of them mending properly, but didn't want them flapping about and causing pain. (Birds' metabolism is astonishngly quick, and they heal commensurately quickly). He went on to live with us for six months or so, and he was quite a character. He immediately adopted the log shed as his home and got quite upset when we turfed him out to fill it with logs. We cut a little hole at the bottom of the door so he could go in and out. On sunny days he'd hop over to the bench in the sunny corner and sunbathe on it. He was very fond of mealworms, and, if fed bread, would carry it over to the bird bath and dunk it before eating it.

He obviously got a bit bored with the garden because he worked out how to get out of it. You could see him looking at escape routes and thinking about it. He began making regular forays into neighbours' gardens, usually to steal their cats' food. He couldn't always get back in, though, and neighbours would have to return him. One day he took himself off and never came back. I imagine a fox got him.

So he couldn't fly for six months, and he used to watch other rooks flying over and caw at them rather piteously. But he did live, and clearly enjoyed himself some of the time, six months longer than he otherwise would have.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My dad once worked as a chicken strangler*... fact! On a farm, when he was about 14.

*(not the same as choking your chicken)

Top Bottom