Poor campaign?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

I cobbled a daft poster up previously. This is what I came up with...don't laugh! :biggrin: (It needs work, but it is better than the CS one!!)

killiekosmos said:
These posters have been about for a while. My concern is that the motorist thinks the cyclist gets one arm width each side rather than the full finger-to-finger spread between bike and car

Encouraging motorists to give us more room is good but the picture could be better. Maybe a bike and a car side by side with a suitable gap.

That's what I thought.:biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
CS has been a damp squib since its inception, we are still waiting delivery of the CAPS document they first consulted us on in the summer of 2008, yes 2008.:angry:

PS This thread should be in Campaign:angry:
The hint is in the thread title.:biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
I know it has been discussed before, but from my perspective the Italian model works just fine. Hit a 2 wheeler and you are guilty. The law has its flaws, but everyone knows where they stand. I was talking to some motor cyclists the other day and all agree that Italy is so much more bike (motor and push) friendly.

Close passes are relatively rare, but as a cyclist you have a status above vermin.

thomas

the tank engine
User3143 said:
What a load of rubbish. I'd be curious to know how many cyclists are involved in the planning and execution of this campaign.

Probably just the 1...it's just a shame that she was only 8 years old :tired:

boydj

Legendary Member
If these posters were out there and being seen by motorists, then they should at least be raising awareness of cyclists, which can only be good. The poster is not at all clear about the amount of space to leave - so not very good on that point. However, I've not seen enough of these posters about to think they would make much difference anyway.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The amount of space needs to be the width of both arms from the cyclist's centreline, not one arm. 1.5m in other words, as is std in France.

NigC

The message to give cyclists more room is pretty clear, but then they go and ruin it with the delivery. It is obviously condoning (as suggested) a safe pass is one which just leaves the cyclist room to move their arm out. A clearer message that suggests more space is needed.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:
Recently commuting I have noticed some signs around produced by Cycling Scotland. You can see one here (second picture down).

Is it just me, or does anyone else think these are very poor posters. It suggests that cars passing a cyclist (a child in this case) should just give the cyclist enough room to stretch their arms out (well below 1m).

I understand the good intention, but most other road users will not. If anything this encourages closer passing.

What do you think?

I think it is supposed to suggest that drivers should pass by the width of the child out stretched arms, but I also think you are right it is actually sending the wrong message.

The Highway Code does clearly say in Rule 163 that drivers should give vulnerable road users least as much room as they would when overtaking a car. Most drivers give other motor vehicles more than 1 meter when overtaking.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:
I cobbled a daft poster up previously. This is what I came up with...don't laugh! :smile: (It needs work, but it is better than the CS one!!)

:biggrin:

Could do better, right sentiment, wrong picture...

Your just given your friends at BloodBus ideas ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
gavintc said:
I know it has been discussed before, but from my perspective the Italian model works just fine. Hit a 2 wheeler and you are guilty. The law has its flaws, but everyone knows where they stand. I was talking to some motor cyclists the other day and all agree that Italy is so much more bike (motor and push) friendly.

Close passes are relatively rare, but as a cyclist you have a status above vermin.

Agreed, UK is one of only five countries which does not have a law of strict liability, the other four are: Cyprus, Ireland, Malta and Romania.

Top Bottom