Poor campaign?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by magnatom, 9 May 2010.

1. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Recently commuting I have noticed some signs around produced by Cycling Scotland. You can see one here (second picture down).

Is it just me, or does anyone else think these are very poor posters. It suggests that cars passing a cyclist (a child in this case) should just give the cyclist enough room to stretch their arms out (well below 1m).

I understand the good intention, but most other road users will not. If anything this encourages closer passing.

What do you think?

2. hackbike 666

hackbike 666 Guest

Too close.

3. gaz

gaz Cycle Camera TV

It should be at least double that if it's a child. You never know when they will wobble.

4. OP
    OP
    magnatom

magnatom Guest

Hmm. So it isn't just me then. :biggrin: very poor in my opinion. Maybe a quick e-mail to Cycling Scotland is in order....

5. hackbike 666

hackbike 666 Guest

Definitely.

6. thomas

thomas the tank engine

I guess the dotted lines are maybe meant to represent a lane of the carriageway, so people overtake in the other lane....but I guess any meaning like that would be lost.

7. OP
    OP
    magnatom

magnatom Guest

Aye, perhaps, but I know what I thought when I saw it, and I know what the vast majority of drivers will think. Just very poorly thought out IMO. :biggrin:

8. OP
    OP
    magnatom

magnatom Guest

I've sent this e-mail to Cycling Scotland:

9. Tinuts

Tinuts Wham Bam Helmet Cam

Yes, rather begs the question why they don't legislate a minimum distance. As we all know, suggesting things to motons makes bog-all difference.

Oh, I almost forgot. Yes it is too close.

10. Tinuts

Tinuts Wham Bam Helmet Cam

Excellent. Trust you'll post the reply.

btw, instead of selling your old camera why not rig it up as a rearward facing one? I'm planning on doing that with mine now I've upgraded.

11. OP
    OP
    magnatom

magnatom Guest

Aye, I could, but I need the money to pay for the new one! :biggrin::angry:

Maybe I'll have a play with it until I sell it.

12. hackbike 666

hackbike 666 Guest

That's what I thought....On second looks it looks like the cyclist gets the whole lane as thomas said but first impressions count.

13. downfader

downfader extimus uero philosophus

Werent CS criticised for the poster last year by the CTC or the cycle press?:biggrin:

I'm sure I remember it being mentioned on the Bikerader site too...?

14. OP
    OP
    magnatom

magnatom Guest

I hadn't heard about that. If anyone can find any info that would be great.

15. killiekosmos

killiekosmos Über Member

These posters have been about for a while. My concern is that the motorist thinks the cyclist gets one arm width each side rather than the full finger-to-finger spread between bike and car

Encouraging motorists to give us more room is good but the picture could be better. Maybe a bike and a car side by side with a suitable gap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice