Poor campaign?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Recently commuting I have noticed some signs around produced by Cycling Scotland. You can see one here (second picture down).

Is it just me, or does anyone else think these are very poor posters. It suggests that cars passing a cyclist (a child in this case) should just give the cyclist enough room to stretch their arms out (well below 1m).

I understand the good intention, but most other road users will not. If anything this encourages closer passing.

What do you think?

Too close.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hmm. So it isn't just me then. :biggrin: very poor in my opinion. Maybe a quick e-mail to Cycling Scotland is in order....

thomas

the tank engine
I guess the dotted lines are maybe meant to represent a lane of the carriageway, so people overtake in the other lane....but I guess any meaning like that would be lost.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

thomas said:
I guess the dotted lines are maybe meant to represent a lane of the carriageway, so people overtake in the other lane....but I guess any meaning like that would be lost.

Aye, perhaps, but I know what I thought when I saw it, and I know what the vast majority of drivers will think. Just very poorly thought out IMO. :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I've sent this e-mail to Cycling Scotland:

As a daily commuting cyclist and active cycle campaigner (http://www.youtube.com/user/magnatom), I was a little shocked when I saw a poster for your latest cycle safety campaign.

The 'Give me cycle space' poster in question shows a picture of a child, astride a bike, holding their arms out with dotted lines at their finger tips.

As a cyclist, I can understand the sentiments of the poster, however, I am concerned at the message that it delivers to those unfamiliar with cycling.

1m or 3ft is a generally accepted minimum distance that a car should leave a cyclist when passing. However, this poster leaves drivers the impression that as long as you pass just outside touching distance of a cyclist then it is a safe pass.

As an experienced cyclist, I find it dangerous and intimidating if a car passes me within 3 ft of me or my bike. My arms to my torso are about 2 ft, long. When cycling my bike/body probably extends about 8 inches from my torso. Therefore, a car passing by me as indicated on your poster would cause alarm.

However your poster has a child on it, with considerably shorter arms, and likely to be less experienced (and wobbly). Therefore, to suggest (even unintentionally) that a car should pass just outside a child’s reach is ludicrous!

Can I ask, what sort of consultation was conducted in producing this poster? And do you agree with me that it sends out the wrong message?

I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Yes, rather begs the question why they don't legislate a minimum distance. As we all know, suggesting things to motons makes bog-all difference.

Oh, I almost forgot. Yes it is too close.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
magnatom said:
I've sent this e-mail to Cycling Scotland:
Excellent. Trust you'll post the reply.

btw, instead of selling your old camera why not rig it up as a rearward facing one? I'm planning on doing that with mine now I've upgraded.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tinuts said:
Excellent. Trust you'll post the reply.

btw, instead of selling your old camera why not rig it up as a rearward facing one? I'm planning on doing that with mine now I've upgraded.

Aye, I could, but I need the money to pay for the new one! :biggrin::angry:

Maybe I'll have a play with it until I sell it.

magnatom said:
Aye, perhaps, but I know what I thought when I saw it, and I know what the vast majority of drivers will think. Just very poorly thought out IMO. :biggrin:

That's what I thought....On second looks it looks like the cyclist gets the whole lane as thomas said but first impressions count.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Werent CS criticised for the poster last year by the CTC or the cycle press?:biggrin:

I'm sure I remember it being mentioned on the Bikerader site too...?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

downfader said:
Werent CS criticised for the poster last year by the CTC or the cycle press?:biggrin:

I'm sure I remember it being mentioned on the Bikerader site too...?

I hadn't heard about that. If anyone can find any info that would be great.

killiekosmos

Veteran
These posters have been about for a while. My concern is that the motorist thinks the cyclist gets one arm width each side rather than the full finger-to-finger spread between bike and car

Encouraging motorists to give us more room is good but the picture could be better. Maybe a bike and a car side by side with a suitable gap.

Top Bottom