Poor Shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
A while ago my bike was broken during an attempted theft. The rear hanger was subsequently broken off during a ride.

I replaced the rear hanger and ever since I've had odd noises and poor shifting. I followed the Park Tools website on adjusting the derailleur and got it almost there, but now I find that I can't ever be 100%, if I get the lower gears shifting smooth, the high don't, and often it won't shift from A to B, i'll have to go to C then up to B, with a risk that it will jump out.

Do these pictures look like perhaps something is still bent, the dérailleur (105), or hanger? Somebody did actually suggest on another thread the hanger may need realigning. This is brand new though.

IMG_20140705_140008428.jpg IMG_20140705_140027439(1).jpg

Why don't I just trust the LBS? I phoned today and the guy couldn't be more disinterested and unhelpful. Not only that the bike they assembled for a friend was terrible, dérailleur rub in most gears from the off, misaligned brake pads and although not really wanted, a single reflector on a single wheel was the extent of reflectors, which just stinks of having rushed it.

If anybody knows a good bike shop for repairs in Hull that would be useful too!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Either the hanger or the lug on the dropout.

RebornBumbler

I'd imagine the cable may well have been damaged in the attempted theft. It's also a very cheap part, so replace it first anyway.
Otherwise the hanger probably needs aligning (i.e. bending) at A.N.Other bike shop.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have been raving about the rear mech alignment tool on here for ages and consider it one of the best £30 spent on bike tools. I have checked more bikes than I can remember, not one has not needed adjusting.

Top Bottom