Pop Quiz.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ok, my turn...

You may not believe this, but there is a link between a cover of a song made famous by a manufactured TV 'boy band', a wheelchair, and the Top of the Pops management... :whistle:

The song, the original band and what the wheelchair was about?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Ok, my turn...

You may not believe this, but there is a link between a cover of a song made famous by a manufactured TV 'boy band', a wheelchair, and the Top of the Pops management... :whistle:

The song, the original band and what the wheelchair was about?
That's mystified me. Any additional clues you could let slip? :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Correct!

The original version by The Monkees...

The cover version by Robert Wyatt...

The wheelchair thing... Robert Wyatt had got a bit too far gone at a party and exited via an upstairs window. He broke his back and ended up in a wheelchair. His cover version of I'm a Believer did rather well and he was to appear on ToTP. The trouble was that the ToTP management didn't think the sight of him in his wheelchair was the kind of fun pop image that they wanted to portray so they tried to get him to sit on a wicker chair on stage... Hard to believe in these politically correct days, but that's what it was like back then. I just found THIS ARTICLE about it.

Over to you!

PS If you look carefully, you'll see that the backing band consists of members of Pink Floyd among others!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Who was the first Artist to cover a song by Bernie Taupin & Elton John?
easy... Killing in the name of by Cliff Richards.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Dunno.. suspect its someone from the UK popular late 60's early 70's probably not known as a songwriter....

Cilla Black,
Tom Jones,
Lulu,
Shirley Bassey

Either that or someone really left field, Led Zep, Bay City Rollers, David Bowie ???

Give me long enough I'll work through every artist :smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Lulu did do one of their tunes for a Eurovision entry. But no.

Clue. The tune was recorded but never released by the artist or Elton John.

Top Bottom