Pop up ads nuisance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Morning all,

I have recently been having having lots and lots of pop up ads on both my laptop and pc. This is something i have never suffered with before. I get them when scrolling over images, even emojis. Some of the names of the pop ups are from the likes of:

offers4u;
zoompix:
zoom img,

I have malware bytes anti malware installed ( although only the free version)

Some sites are worse than others wiggle for example and i have to say Cycle chat is also becoming very frustrating with this intrusion.

Anyone else experiencing this recently or can advise on a solution please as it is making browsing a chore?

Many thanks,

ssd

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Ad Block Plus - free to download :thumbsup:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I'm not sure whether you can install AB+ on Internet Explorer or Edge. It works fine for me on Firefox and Chrome, though, and no doubt on other browsers.

yes it will install on ie

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
[QUOTE 4146207, member: 259"]I'm surprised CycleChat is serving up pop-up ads - is this even when you are signed in?[/QUOTE]
Cyclechat appears to be using software called 'skimword' which turns certain keywords into commercial links. I noted this when posting about a certain sci-fi movie that hit cinemas at Xmas. When not signed in, my references to SW took you to a link advertising SW toys.

It sounds like you've also installed something , probably wrapped up with something else. I'd check your installed software as well as browser add-ons and see if you recognise everything. I recently spent a day un-installing malware off someone's laptop which was full of odd .exe files. Even Malware didn't pick them all up or Adblock stop them.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Thanks guys some good info here. Will download said tools. I believe multiple anti malware tools can run on the same machine unlike anti-virus software which conflict with each other, correct?

Yes Cycle chat is giving pop ups whether logged in or out.

Will get onto this when i have time, at work atm.

Cheers again

ssd

Shaun

Founder
Yes Cycle chat is giving pop ups whether logged in or out.

It's malware or an add-on - the ad code on CC doesn't exist when you're logged in. :okay:

Malwarebytes - https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/thankyou/ - ensure you download the latest update before running; and delete items from quarantine before removing the software.

ESET Online Scanner - http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ - takes a while, but can find things MWB misses.

.... and for good measure you could use the Norton online scanner - https://security.symantec.com/nss/getnss.aspx?langid=ie&venid=sym

Hope these help and you get it resolved.

Just out of interest, have you tried an alternative browser?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Top Bottom