Porsche should be selling bumper cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sporty Honda Civic -hmmm !!

assuming your comment is one of scepicisim, the sporty civics are proper hooligan cars. My Aunt had one 20 years ago (CRX?) and it went like a rocket. The modern S type even more so, though I've not driven the latter

Last edited:

donnydave

Über Member
No!
You are getting a bit hung up on the shorthand labels being used here.
The point is that person A buys a "fast" car that is sporty, aggressive in appearance and full of features copied from racing cars. He will be more likely to drive it fast and have more accidents.
Person B buys an "alternative" car. Now it could be aimed at being green, be a hippy car, be a cool crusing car, very comfortable, cheap, classic or any number of other types of car. This person is less likely to drive fast and so will have fewer accidents.

Now there are lots of posts showing us a classic car, a fast car that is safe, a slow car that is driven fast etc so it is difficult to pin things down to one example in each group.
The car person A buys feeds his speeding behaviour. The car person B buys feeds his safer style of driving. Now quite rightly if you put person A in person Bs car he will possibly still drive like a nutter. But over time the mindset of person B and the car choice of person B will take over and we will have fewer nutter drivers on the road.

I think I understand what you're getting at - a few years ago I went from a jag xjs to a nissan micra and after a few months of abusing the poor old micra I gave up and adopted a less conspicuous, almost apologetic driving style, shaking my head at all the nutters desperate to get past my happy cuddly innofensive little car. I genuinely loved that car, but by gods man it was slow and boring

I think I understand what you're getting at - a few years ago I went from a jag xjs to a nissan micra and after a few months of abusing the poor old micra I gave up and adopted a less conspicuous, almost apologetic driving style, shaking my head at all the nutters desperate to get past my happy cuddly innofensive little car. I genuinely loved that car, but by gods man it was slow and boring

Exactly what I am getting at. Cars can be made in a way so that they are driven in a safe or boring way.
In the Netherlands when I have been there cars in towns drive very slowly (because of the bikes) and in Toronto all urban areas seem to give priority to peds on any road so it is basically all a zebra crossing. They seem to be quite happily just trundle along big wide roads hardly reaching 30. Cars there really did not seem to have any lean towards sportiness.

donnydave

Über Member
Exactly what I am getting at. Cars can be made in a way so that they are driven in a safe or boring way.
In the Netherlands when I have been there cars in towns drive very slowly (because of the bikes) and in Toronto all urban areas seem to give priority to peds on any road so it is basically all a zebra crossing. They seem to be quite happily just trundle along big wide roads hardly reaching 30. Cars there really did not seem to have any lean towards sportiness.

I should add that I ditched the micra and went back to a ridiculous car because it bored me to tears, however now I'm older and wiser my driving style is a lot more pootling than when I was younger. I disagree with a blanket statement that fast cars automatically cost more to ensure because they are fast - as we've discussed its more complicated than that and is based on lots of things like value (indirectly linked to speed I suppose) and the general risk profile of how the car is used. I also disagree that simply being behind the wheel of a fast car flips a switch and makes people drive like a complete bellend however I do definitely agree that it will have that effect on some people who were already idiots to begin with.

Just one last thing (Columbo mode enabled) your last comment about cars not appearing to have any lean towards sportiness - now bear with me as this is a massive leap of assumption as I don't know you at all.... but you not knowing about sporty civcs may lead me to deduce that you're not that into cars, and therefore wouldn't be able to spot some of the more inconspicuous looking sports models of certain brands - from your previous comments you seem to think that all sports cars have massive wings, fins and drainpipe exhausts. There are some very very fast cars which look completely normal and unassuming. They may just be being driven by people who actually have more than one brain cell to rub together. Apologies if you were already aware of this.

I should add that I ditched the micra and went back to a ridiculous car because it bored me to tears, however now I'm older and wiser my driving style is a lot more pootling than when I was younger. I disagree with a blanket statement that fast cars automatically cost more to ensure because they are fast - as we've discussed its more complicated than that and is based on lots of things like value (indirectly linked to speed I suppose) and the general risk profile of how the car is used. I also disagree that simply being behind the wheel of a fast car flips a switch and makes people drive like a complete bellend however I do definitely agree that it will have that effect on some people who were already idiots to begin with.

Just one last thing (Columbo mode enabled) your last comment about cars not appearing to have any lean towards sportiness - now bear with me as this is a massive leap of assumption as I don't know you at all.... but you not knowing about sporty civcs may lead me to deduce that you're not that into cars, and therefore wouldn't be able to spot some of the more inconspicuous looking sports models of certain brands - from your previous comments you seem to think that all sports cars have massive wings, fins and drainpipe exhausts. There are some very very fast cars which look completely normal and unassuming. They may just be being driven by people who actually have more than one brain cell to rub together. Apologies if you were already aware of this.

As soon as we start putting a label on any group of people or try to pigeon hole drivers we run into difficulties and exceptions. It does get down to fast drivers drive fast! From there, a fair question is what motivates them to drive fast? And then, can that motivation be taken away and if it is does their action change? I think it would over time.

Me! Complete nutter as a kid. Drove like it was a race track. Nothing exotic, just in fast Fords and Dolomite Sprints. Had two bad accidents as a result and in one nearly killed myself. Used to go off to see the RAC rally and all sorts of car racing events. That was a lifetime ago and I am very different now. I do like cars but am not at all into speed. My present car is an E class merc estate. I got it for the comfort, safety and long life. It will go very fast and the speedo goes up to 160 but it is a big lump of car with a diesel engine and an auto gearbox. It is even (big confession) the sporty version, but in my defence I was desperately trying to get the exec model but everyone buying new seemed to go for the sporty avant-garde model in the spec I wanted so that is what I had second hand. The speed limiter is on. It has no sporty feel to it and is just lovely to waft along in and I drive quite slowly and safely.
I don't have much interest in sporty versions of cars but of course most makes have sporty versions of most cars.

donnydave

Über Member
good heavens above I think for the first time in the history of the internet two people have had slightly different views about something and not degraded to a slanging match! :laugh:

donnydave

Über Member
As soon as we start putting a label on any group of people or try to pigeon hole drivers we run into difficulties and exceptions. It does get down to fast drivers drive fast! From there, a fair question is what motivates them to drive fast? And then, can that motivation be taken away and if it is does their action change? I think it would over time.

hmm not fully convinced - the motivation for driving fast isn't necessarily because the car being driven has sporty pretensions. from my own experience a lot of it is to do with finding out if my bog standard cooking spec boring basic motor is faster than the other guys similaly puny underpowered non sporty car, as that's all we could afford at 17.

I'm still trying bravely to understand what you're suggesting - do you mean like how theres (for example) no underground hot rod washing machine scene where people see who's got the fastest spin cycle because washing machines are just functional non-sexy domestic appliances and no one would even consider pimping them

.................................... Cars there really did not seem to have any lean towards sportiness.
The other side of this, is that, it's not the cars that are made to be sporty that are influencing it.

The car manufacturers develop their products based on market data, they are building what people want. People want these cars, which is why they are built.

RichardB

Slightly retro
The car manufacturers develop their products based on market data, they are building what people want. People want these cars, which is why they are built.
And that is what is so wrong. People shouldn't be allowed to have what they want. They should only be permitted to have things that a certain, self-selected group of people approve of. That way, we will all be safe and happy, whether we like it or not.

Top Bottom