Porsche should be selling bumper cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donnydave

Über Member
I think some of us gave up a while ago. Can you provide numbers as to how many accidents are caused by people driving dangerously and inappropriately fast, and how many accidents are caused by people who are just plain inattentive and incompetent

Id rather everyone on the roads was interested in cars, understood the cars limits and their own limits rather than people who are barely within their capability to stay on the black bits and off the green bits. (mind you I know a couple of people who go racing and that thought is now making me chuckle :laugh::laugh:)

Tin Pot

Guru
I think some of us gave up a while ago. Can you provide numbers as to how many accidents are caused by people driving dangerously and inappropriately fast, and how many accidents are caused by people who are just plain inattentive and incompetent

Id rather everyone on the roads was interested in cars, understood the cars limits and their own limits rather than people who are barely within their capability to stay on the black bits and off the green bits. (mind you I know a couple of people who go racing and that thought is now making me chuckle :laugh::laugh:)

How dare you ask for facts and figures! :no:

Why can't you understand that inference and common sense are a much better basis for opinion?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Isn't driving inappropriately fast likely to be a characteristic of being

a) plain inattentive
b) incompetent, particularly in making decisions.

donnydave

Über Member
That's one interpretation, yes, however for the purpose of the point I'm making I'm trying to differentiate between inappropriate speed being the cause of an incident and people just plain not thinking about what they are doing (yes, yes, I know...) tootling along in a world of their own, not looking, not planning ahead and basically not engaged in the task of driving.

Of the two driving styles I just described, I'm not saying one is good and one is bad - they are both obviously bad but I'm attempting to counter the feeling I'm getting from other posters that mr noisy speedy sports car is the main cause of accidents on the road

Tin Pot

Guru
That's one interpretation, yes, however for the purpose of the point I'm making I'm trying to differentiate between inappropriate speed being the cause of an incident and people just plain not thinking about what they are doing (yes, yes, I know...) tootling along in a world of their own, not looking, not planning ahead and basically not engaged in the task of driving.

Of the two driving styles I just described, I'm not saying one is good and one is bad - they are both obviously bad but I'm attempting to counter the feeling I'm getting from other posters that mr noisy speedy sports car is the main cause of accidents on the road

Load induced blindness can be an issue - people simply do not perceive cyclists, even though they "see" them. The cyclist shape doesn't register as important, and text/phone/radio/daydreaming takes up the processing power that would otherwise allow the perception to occur.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4043960, member: 45"]c) I'm an above average driver and the limits are intended for me.[/QUOTE]
aren't?

But your c) is just another variation on my b) incompetent decision maker. ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Load induced blindness can be an issue - people simply do not perceive cyclists, even though they "see" them. The cyclist shape doesn't register as important, and text/phone/radio/daydreaming takes up the processing power that would otherwise allow the perception to occur.
The faster you go the narrower your zone of attention. We haven't really evolved to cope with unpredictable environments, significant sensory loads, and complex decision making, whilst moving at speeds above that of a slow run.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4043972, member: 45"]Yes it's an incompetent decision, but I don't usually relate imcompetent to the processed choice of an educated person.

...and thanks for pointing out the typo....[/QUOTE]
Fair enough. I think marketing trumps education most of the time for most people.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I have this theory that a lot of the decisions we make as drivers or riders are done by the lizard brain that has kept us and our remote ancestors safe for millions of years. A large object approaching quickly gets more of our attention than a small one approaching slowly. It's simple self-preservation. People rarely pull out in front of lorries and buses, sometimes in front of cars, often in front of motorbikes and very often in front of bicycles.

I have this theory that a lot of the decisions we make as drivers or riders are done by the lizard brain that has kept us and our remote ancestors safe for millions of years. A large object approaching quickly gets more of our attention than a small one approaching slowly. It's simple self-preservation. People rarely pull out in front of lorries and buses, sometimes in front of cars, often in front of motorbikes and very often in front of bicycles.

Could be that. I've started to think it's about shape recognition. There's people that can manage to not notice a whacking great horse pootling along the road because they're so tuned to trucks, buses, cars etc.

Top Bottom