Porsche should be selling bumper cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Just because a car is capable of getting to 140mph doesn't mean it has to, by your theory my Giant Defy which cost £399 is about the only road bike that anyone needs, yet people are happy to spend £3k+ on their bikes, both if jumping a red light can be just as dangerous.

There seems to be a strange logic of some people that just because you have a car capable of going 140+ then it means you will, maybe that says more about the character of the poster that they don't have the self control required.
jumping a red light is not an attribute of the vehicle but a piece of behaviour form the driver.

the bhp and aerodynamics required to do 140mph is an attribute of the vehicle. Why does a private road car need that attribute? You want to race it. Fine. Tow to the track on a trailer.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That is as maybe but I should still be allowed my personal freedom.
The libertarian only ever wants liberties for themselves, "I'll use my freedoms responsibly", but is often happy to see them curtailed for others "They are [members of whatever outgroup needs limiting] they must be controlled." then.

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 4025667, member: 45"]You're more likely to, that's without doubt. Whether you will or not remains your choice.[/QUOTE]
Still don't understand your logic as to why it's without doubt, I have had some pretty powerful cars & several motorbikes capable of going past 150mph but I never have on UK roads, I once did 250KMPH on a German autobahn in a borrowed BMW it was quite boring, much prefer my Saxo around Cadwell Park.

jumping a red light is not an attribute of the vehicle but a piece of behaviour form the driver.
So at least now you are coming around to the fact it's about the driver/rider not the vehicle

You want to race it. Fine. Tow to the track on a trailer.
Why? it can be safely driven on the road, in fact it's probably safer than 80% of the vehicles on the road, it does very little mileage, it gets stripped & rebuild after a few outing, any item that shows even the slightest of wear is replaced.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@User9609
just to shed some light on brakes..
my mate has a Carera2 twin turbo 196mph porsche..he had a 6k ceramic brake upgrade put on it.
he likes his cars and has had some superb cars.
the discs are enormouse..and this and huge tyres provide astonishing braking..your eyes feel like there going to come out of their sockets..
Performance brake pads are far better than the 40k milage O,E stuff but imagine telling an average car buyer it will need new pads every 2000 or 3000 miles..lol
you need to drive a car like this to understand ..his M5 is fabulous too.
if i compare my kia sport waggon to these ,there is no contest.

i can see you 80mph max point But its about so much more than balls out top speed.
Back in the day some performance cars had signs on them that said "warning disc brakes" to warn following drivers that the car would stop much faster than theirs.

Use ceramic discs in anger on a motor way to avoid hitting the car in front and get rammed from behind by the following car with avg brakes.

Your mate doesn't have fancy brakes to improve generally levels of road safety. He has fancy brakes so he can leave his braking late, to the last second, outbrake other people and, I don't doubt, grab the racing line...

Tin Pot

Guru
Are there any stats showing a correlation between how powerful a car is and the collision rate or is it just obvious guv?
What and ruin the problem space with facts?

Pah! Amateur.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So at least now you are coming around to the fact it's about the driver/rider not the vehicle
Not at all.

The capability to do 140mph on a public road needs both the driver attribute and the vehicle attribute in combination.

Together you ask me to trust you that you won't use the capability and I have to trust you.
Without the vehicle attribute you are unable to use the capability and I don't have to trust you.

I don't trust you.

What and ruin the problem space with facts?

Pah! Amateur.
Here's something I found...

"The 2011 Kia Rio had the highest rate of death, with 149 fatalities expected per million registrations. The Nissan Versasedan had 130 fatalities per million registered and the Hyundai Accent had 120 fatalities per million registered. They were the deadliest cars in the study.

On the safest end of the spectrum, nine models had a death rate of zero: the Audi A4 4WD, the Honda Odyssey, the Kia Sorento 2WD, Lexus RX 350 4WD, Mercedes-Benz GL-Class 4WD, Subaru Legacy 4WD, Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4WD,Toyota Sequoia 4WD, and Volvo XC90 4WD."

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 4025673, member: 45"]Phwooarrr. Maybe you are superior after all.[/QUOTE]

you lost me..
my mates car makes me superior??

Not at all.

The capability to do 140mph on a public road needs both the driver attribute and the vehicle attribute in combination.

Together you ask me to trust you that you won't use the capability and I have to trust you.
Without the vehicle attribute you are unable to use the capability and I don't have to trust you.

I don't trust you.
So, do Ferraris, Lambos, Porches etc have a disproportionate number of death attributed to them?

Top Bottom