Porsche should be selling bumper cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No. Safe cars don't have to be fast cars.
And it also appears that fast cars aren't unsafe cars.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I think this thread is about people wanting to argue..
right ill go and get dinner ready..

should i do chicken or fish..decisions

[QUOTE 4025772, member: 45"]It's not. It's about the appropriateness of overly powerful high-performance cars on our roads. Large engines is just a rough reference to them.[/QUOTE]

But they are needlessly fast.
But if there's no greater danger posed by them (unless you can show me any stats or correlation that shows otherwise), what difference does it make?

I'm all for making our roads safer. Let's start with those that cause the highest proportion of deaths. That would seem to be cheap cars or those driven by youngsters.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd argue, but my side have already won - we can all own and drive fast cars.

<blows raspberry>
Ok. Hands up. It is nothing but the politics of envy.

But I am a winner too, by your logic, as I can own and drive a (needlessly conspicuously qantonly, fast car too. But I just don't want to.

tlh being happy with size of my member I'd rather spend the money on bikes, whiskey, and good wine.

[QUOTE 4025782, member: 45"]We've discussed the evidence. An 18 year old can get cover for a £10k Fiesta, but not a £10k Impreza.[/QUOTE]
That's not evidence. I am lookjing for correlation between detah and engine size. It appears the most death comes from smaller cheaper cars. The problem with your scenario has more to do with age, We should making tests longer and harder.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
But if there's no greater danger posed by them (unless you can show me any stats or correlation that shows otherwise), what difference does it make?

I'm all for making our roads safer. Let's start with those that cause the highest proportion of deaths. That would seem to be cheap cars or those driven by youngsters.

Car culture is inherently wasteful and aspirational.

Car culture is inherently wasteful and aspirational.
So we should ban expensive cars because you don't like the consumerism around it?

With all due respect, bog off, I'll buy and spend what I like thank you.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That's not evidence. I am lookjing for correlation between detah and engine size. It appears the most death comes from smaller cheaper cars. The problem with your scenario has more to do with age, We should making tests longer and harder.

now you're simply being obtuse. Are you arguing that insurers don't base their premiums on risk profile of the vehicle? The age point was like for like in the example given . Engine size was a perhaps erroneous substitue for power / speed, but you know that. And obviously more deaths come from smaller cheaper cars because there are far more of them and they are the only option for riskier drivers, not because they are more dangerous. You seemed to be suggesting lions are less dangerous than dogs because they rarely bite anyone in the UK.

As it happens I have a moderately powerfull car, albeit an old-man Saab, and I have an extremely powerfull motorcycle, but hey ho

now you're simply being obtuse. Are you arguing that insurers don't base their premiums on risk profile of the vehicle? The age point was like for like in the example given . Engine size was a perhaps erroneous substitue for power / speed, but you know that. And obviously more deaths come from smaller cheaper cars because there are far more of them and they are the only option for riskier drivers, not because they are more dangerous. You seemed to be suggesting lions are less dangerous than dogs because they rarely bite anyone in the UK.

As it happens I have a moderately powerfull car, albeit an old-man Saab, and I have an extremely powerfull motorcycle, but hey ho
Read my post with the link upthread. It stated that some quite cheap cars had the highest death rate per million registrations. This takes into account the greater number of them.

EDIT Here's something I found...

As for the insurance point, read Phil's post "My Civic Type S, costs more to insure than a R33 Skyline. Maybe the insurance is factoring in the type of driver that usually owns that kind of vehicle." which also takes that into account.

I ask again, if more poewrful cars are more dangerous, please show me any stats that show a correlation?

[QUOTE 4025865, member: 45"]My scenario has nothing to do with age, because it's the same person. The variable is the car. And the higher the performance, the higher the risk.

And why are you still talking about engine size? Drive a tractor?[/QUOTE]
read Phil's post "My Civic Type S, costs more to insure than a R33 Skyline. Maybe the insurance is factoring in the type of driver that usually owns that kind of vehicle."
The variable is the car. Higher the performance the lower the risk.

The premise of this thread is that higher performance cars should be banned curtailed due to the greater danger they pose.

PLEASE SHOW ME ANY STATS THAT SUPPORT THIS.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Read my post with the link upthread. It stated that some quite cheap cars had the highest death rate per million registrations. This takes into account the greater number of them.

EDIT Here's something I found...

As for the insurance point, read Phil's post "My Civic Type S, costs more to insure than a R33 Skyline. Maybe the insurance is factoring in the type of driver that usually owns that kind of vehicle." which also takes that into account.

I ask again, if more poewrful cars are more dangerous, please show me any stats that show a correlation?

umm, you do know the survey quoted is "driver deaths" - thus SUVs and presumably big strong heavy vehicles generally do "well"

Top Bottom