Portable battery for fan/turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LewisLondon

So it looks like my winter training will be in a basement, with no power points!

While I have seen turbo trainers that self power (or are powered by your legs at least), I haven't quite seen the same for fans, and so I've been recommended getting a portable "power point"/battery.

Is anyone doing this, and is aware of any out there that should be looked at? Ideally not crazily expensive....

BurningLegs

Veteran
This might be a silly question, but can you run an extension lead on a semi-permanent basis? Perhaps router under the carpet in a ground floor room or something??

If not, my first thought is a 12V fan and a car battery. Not sure if you’ll get a fan with enough airflow though?

jarlrmai

Veteran
given you basically need an industrial fan to make a dent in the sweat caused by using a trainer a battery powered one is unlikely to be effective.

can you not run a long extension lead down there?

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

This might be a silly question, but can you run an extension lead on a semi-permanent basis? Perhaps router under the carpet in a ground floor room or something??

If not, my first thought is a 12V fan and a car battery. Not sure if you’ll get a fan with enough airflow though?

I’m on the 6th floor, unfortunately not an option

Just sweat and enjoy it:laugh::laugh:
the sweating doesn’t bother me but multiple people (and online searching) have pointed out without a fan, it’s nowhere near as effective training, otherwise i would!

So it looks like my winter training will be in a basement, with no power points!

While I have seen turbo trainers that self power (or are powered by your legs at least), I haven't quite seen the same for fans, and so I've been recommended getting a portable "power point"/battery.

Is anyone doing this, and is aware of any out there that should be looked at? Ideally not crazily expensive....
You say there are no power points, how many lights are down there? If there were several light fittings you could use a fan with one of those old bayonet adaptors there were fashionable years ago? A fan doesn`t pull a huge amount of current so will be fine running from a lamp fitting.

Just an idea

You say there are no power points, how many lights are down there? If there were several light fittings you could use a fan with one of those old bayonet adaptors there were fashionable years ago? A fan doesn`t pull a huge amount of current so will be fine running from a lamp fitting.

Just an idea
You can buy them new on Ebay for about £3

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

You can buy them new on Ebay for about £3

While I would love to do this (and i will look) the fact that it's a shared location means they're unlikely to like me doing this (and i'm in danger of electrocuting myself!)

Someone had told me they'd heard of people doing this, now I'm not so sure :sad:

While I would love to do this (and i will look) the fact that it's a shared location means they're unlikely to like me doing this (and i'm in danger of electrocuting myself!)

Someone had told me they'd heard of people doing this, now I'm not so sure :sad:
A fan will pull about the same amount of juice as a lightbulb anyway so I can`t see what the issue with it being shared will be?

If you do do it, then yes make sure the light is off before you connect up

Top Bottom