Portable espresso makers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blue Hills 100% agree a bialeti (other moka pots are available) is the only way to home brew a decent coffee. Millions of Italians can't be wrong .I'm sorry the portable stove and gas canister is starting to get a bit to Boy Scout for me. Having said that ,post covid if I see you brewing up I don't mind sharing a cup.
depends where you are.
Have brewed up with @ColinJ behind a wall in wondrous bowland. Would have been doing this summer with @Littgull if it wasn't for this hell.
nothing wrong with the boy scout approach - be prepared - dib dib.

Assuming you use Nespresso capsules then they are 100% recyclable :okay:
how's about having nothing to recycle/remanufacture?

We'd need to know which method is more efficient at delivering bean/coffee from source to cup, there's a lot of waste at bean bagging, shipping, re-packing at local market, on shelf and then at the consumer, much more than bean to capsule:okay:
sorry - you've lost me - less stages in me getting a bean and grinding it surely?
Lidl is a good source of beans.

depends where you are.
Have brewed up with @ColinJ behind a wall in wondrous bowland. Would have been doing this summer with @Littgull if it wasn't for this hell.
nothing wrong with the boy scout approach - be prepared - dib dib.
There is definite 'light at end of the tunnel' now with the vaccine roll out on the horizon. Get that primus stove polished up for Spring/Summer 2021 🍮👍.

There is definite 'light at end of the tunnel' now with the vaccine roll out on the horizon. Get that primus stove polished up for Spring/Summer 2021 🍮👍.
looking forward to it.
With christmas semi postponed, the espresso may be preceeded by a good shot or two of bourbon.
(I only drink spirits at christmas)
roll on 2021 :smile:

you're going to have to explain this.

I believe the difference is once the beans have arrived at port. Most coffee bean brands are actually not that big as a global purchaser and therefore the beans are repacked at least once, usually twice. The beans Nespresso use arrive from the port via train to the capsule sites (there's 3 globally), waste is reduced and after they are produced and packed there should be no waste vs the beans that people buy and throw away as they've lost flavour if they kept them too long or improperly.

Still not sure that balances the aluminium production and recycling as that consumes a chunk of Co2.

robjh

Legendary Member
Sod that.
that price.
Rechargeable battery!!
why not just buy a bialetti?
Can also be used at home.
One of the 20th century's great designs.
Lasts forever - is indestructible - even if you try to incinerate it.
All its bits can be replaced.
I do keep meaning to start a pic thread or your bike and a coffee - watch this space.
Yours - coffee head.
They don't last forever, the handle fell off my last one after only 27 years.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sod that.
that price.
Rechargeable battery!!
why not just buy a bialetti?
Can also be used at home.
One of the 20th century's great designs.
Lasts forever - is indestructible - even if you try to incinerate it.
All its bits can be replaced.
I do keep meaning to start a pic thread or your bike and a coffee - watch this space.
Yours - coffee head.
It's quite easy to burn the Bailetti's plastic handle. The handle disintegrates and it's then impossible to use without asbestos gloves.

I know this.

Edit: Sorry, @robjh got there first.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Über Member
I'm a morning coffee person. I like a good quality cup of coffee or two after I've showered and shaved. And I'll use a number of methods depending on my mood. Usually it's french press or moka pot. Occassionaly when I'm in rush I'll pop a pod into the Kuerig. But I don't really get the satisfaction from it that I get from the other two methods. Once I've had my morning coffee, I won't have another until the next morning. Even in these times of Covid, here in the US coffee shops are open. In NJ you can't drink it in the shop. But what's wrong with stopping at a coffee shop and getting a cup to go? That's the way to go in my opinion. And when Covid is under control then sitting in the cafe makes it even nicer. I see no need to drag coffee making gear with me on rides. And if I absolutely must have coffee, then I'd brew it at home and put it in a Thermos. Those things retain heat like nobody's business. A Thermos and a small Nalgene with some milk tossed into a backpack and I'm all set.

Top Bottom