Portal to upload video evidence launched.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Clicked the privacy policy link and read "we may contact you in response to your message or subsequently in the future. This may include periodically sending promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information, which we think you may find interesting, using the email address you have provided."

:headshake:

jarlrmai

Veteran
Wow this will be fascinating, given some of the videos I've seen on YouTube with police phone conversations indicating they can't see anything wrong.

mjr

Website Terms of Use also contains a doozy: "When you upload or post content to our site (including, but without limitation dashcam videos), you grant to us a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive, sub-licensable, royalty-free and transferable licence to use, exploit, copy, store, disclose, reproduce, publish, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, perform and otherwise use that content for any purpose across any media including, but not limited to, promoting the site and its content, promoting our business, and promoting our products and services."

:banghead:

D

Deleted member 26715

So a website that it claims it is putting up to free up Police time, will then get deluged with wannabee warriors of passes that the Police will have even less resource.

Granted we do need driver education, but this is not the way.

mjr

So a website that it claims it is putting up to free up Police time, will then get deluged with wannabee warriors of passes that the Police will have even less resource.

Granted we do need driver education, but this is not the way.
Police are already collecting footage and their video transfer systems are so glacially slow in my experience that something like this might well free up officer time despite an increase in reports.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Not available in Scotland or NI by the looks of it, so can't really be described as national.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
....I thought this was good news !!!! ......Burning you vids to dvd and filling out the statement - then popping it all in the post is a right pain

Drago

Legendary Member
Most forces wont simply "have words" with drivers, because they don't have the staff, nothing ever comes of it, and it's too open for abuse with people using the police to point score off one another. That being the case, it's pointless sending them minor or marginal stuff, and stuff genuinely worth of prosecution requires you to produce a hard copy that can be exhibited anyway, so its a pointless exercise. I would guess the whole thing is nothing more thean an exercise by NextBase to promote their business. After all, they exist to maximise shareholder return, not to make cyclists feel warm and gooey inside.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
....I thought this was good news !!!! ......Burning you vids to dvd and filling out the statement - then popping it all in the post is a right pain

I wouldn't use it. Certainly not with their clear intent to use submitted content to promote themselves and possibly even sell your content to anyone they choose but there's also the consideration that they would be happy to disclose your personal details to any 3rd party who *claims* to have had their privacy violated:
"We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy."

So some guy who has chased you in his car, run over your bike and assaulted you (as happened recently to a CC member) would be given your name and address and whatever other personal data you provided along with your submission to Nextbase.

I don't know who put together their privacy policy, or if they've even had it checked but I'm pretty certain it's not GDPR compliant.
The whole thing's a mess.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm deeply uncomfortable about this. As others have pointed out, the terms are clearly set up to allow Nextbase to sell the footage to make money from.

Some forces have really good submission portals, so they should take one of those, scale it, and roll it out nationally with a team of staff sorting through the submitted footage.

Top Bottom