Porto to Bilbao. Has anyone cycled this route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wintonbina

Über Member
Dear Friends, My next Charity ride is going to be Porto to Bilbao in 2020 so would like to know if anyone has ridden this route & could pass on any plusses & minus's please?
Hopefully all good & all flattish routes :-)
Many thanks, Tony

Pick your route carefully as Picos de Europa west of Bilbao is tough ( but stunning). Inland on the plateau is a furnace in summer much better on coast and mountains.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I cycled from Bilbao to Santiago de Compostela last month - I had not prepared for how wet that part of Spain is - it rained on every of 5 days, sometimes for the whole day (and on the day we left !). I found the mountains in the Picos de Europa range challenging but I'm a bit rubbish in the hills. Having said that, the scenery is stunning and the roads are quite.

Hi, I saw your post last night and it prompted me to wander down memory lane...... so thanks for that! ^_^

I rode to Santiago via the Camino Frances, from Santiago south and west to the coast (based on the recommendation of a bar-tender in Santiago), then along the coast past Santander, then Bilbao and on back to Holland.

After Santiago I had no planning done, I just followed my nose.....and the sea as much as possible.

It was absolutely glorious! Fantastic country, fantastic food, great roads for cycling, amazing campsites.

But there are hills! Lots of them!

As said above, weather is significant! There can be heavy, heavy rain and hot, hot sunshine.

If high speed, high daily distance is your thing, then you can do that because a lot of the time you'll be on good, quiet roads.
But that part of the world lends itself to slow, absorbing riding.

You'll get ideas of possible routes from checking out Camino resources ( there is a route Porto to Santiago and Bilbao to Santiago)* Good for ideas and also possible accommodation options.

* For anyone thinking of cycling a Camino, it is my belief that it is generally understood to be a contemplative (yet social!) experience and depending on your route, you will be travelling along paths mainly populated by walking pilgrims. While a bike has as much right to be there as anyone else, I believe there's a special place in Hell reserved for those cyclists who fly down the paths with no regard for the walking pilgrims. There are invariably roads close to the Camino paths if you want to go fast. I say this as someone who cycled, walked, carried, and dragged a fully loaded touring bike along the Camino Frances.

In any case, good luck avoiding the hills!

It'll be a great ride!

OP
OP
wintonbina

wintonbina

Über Member
Thank you to the replies so far. I do expect some tough hills on this challenge and look forward to taking them on but that said, if I can plan a flatter route then I would be happier. My last big challenge was Rome to Home (Bournemouth) which was 1400miles in 14 days & included a lot of hills plus some we didn't account for :-)
And yes, the views are going to be awesome!

[QUOTE="wintonbina, post: 5321074, member: 12242"My last big challenge was Rome to Home (Bournemouth) which was 1400miles in 14 days & included a lot of hills plus some we didn't account for :-)![/QUOTE]

That's some serious daily mileage day after day. What were you riding? Carrying your own stuff? Do you remember much of it? Sounds a bit too fast to me to appreciate the trip - you must have whizzed past so much.

OP
OP
wintonbina

wintonbina

Über Member
[QUOTE="wintonbina, post: 5321074, member: 12242"My last big challenge was Rome to Home (Bournemouth) which was 1400miles in 14 days & included a lot of hills plus some we didn't account for :-)!

That's some serious daily mileage day after day. What were you riding? Carrying your own stuff? Do you remember much of it? Sounds a bit too fast to me to appreciate the trip - you must have whizzed past so much.[/QUOTE]
Hi Blue Hills, actually it was amazing. We didn't have to rush, we stopped for lot's of sight-seeing, photos, drinks & food. If you break down our mileage, 100 miles into a 16 hour day, it's just over 6 miles a hour. So we had a lot of time to enjoy ourselves, our kit was carried by our back-up team & we had 2 masseurs with us as well to make sure we were in peak condition (& I'm 60+). We went through the Alps, did the F1 Monaco track & Le Mans, visited the vineyards for a banquet lunch at Chateauneuf de Pape and rode through the San Remo tunnels (and got told off for that!) and we did a day in fancy dress in Normandy & lots more so it wasn't too bad all in all. :-)

MarkF

Guru
There are no "flattish" routes from Porto to Bilbao (AFAIK). I have done A Coruna to Bilbao v as much coast as possible and it was friggin horrendous, made up for by the views and the people. Santander to Bilbao will have you screaming, it's not so much the climbs and drops but the frustration of not being able to get across an inlet, but having to ride umpteen miles inland, then outland............ to get around the headland.......

Galicia, Asturias (In particular) and Cantabria are the most beautiful places that I've ever ridden.:okay:

Top Bottom