Portsmouth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I have a trip to Portsmouth this weekend - I have a bikeride planned for a few hours but then the whole family is there for the day. So any recommendations on things to do and, importantly, a suitable cafe for my 52nd cafe in 52 weeks!

vickster

Legendary Member
@StuAff is down there I think

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
@StuAff is definitely down (and across) there. He will know all the runs and points.

@Cathryn how much time have you set aside for the ride? I always find Portsmouth an awkward place to ride to and from due to the limited and traffic-heavy crossings across the creek, so if you’re against the clock it might be tricky to make it out of the city and into the lanes.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
The historic dockyards are superb. Even after going round HMS Victory, Warrior and The Mary Rose, there's loads more to see.

A friend of mine is related to Admiral Tryon, who is responsible for the worst peace time disaster in British naval history, HMS Warrior was his flag ship. My friend is also called Tryon and he went round HMS Warrior and was treated like royalty when he told the guides of his association!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Cafe recommendation: Spinnaker Cafe on Broad Street. We've got quite a few good ones, AFAIK, but I've actually used that one & it's a cracker. D-Day Story (Museum as was) was excellent when it opened, and they've improved it so I must revisit some time. City Museum has some interesting exhibits.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Cafe recommendation: Spinnaker Cafe on Broad Street. We've got quite a few good ones, AFAIK, but I've actually used that one & it's a cracker. D-Day Story (Museum as was) was excellent when it opened, and they've improved it so I must revisit some time. City Museum has some interesting exhibits.

Thank you!

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I once followed a guy on Strava who cycled around Hayling Island on a regular basis; he’d cycle perhaps 25-30 miles with about 2 or 3 hundred feet of elevation which always seemed quite appealing to me. 😀

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The historic dockyards are superb. Even after going round HMS Victory, Warrior and The Mary Rose, there's loads more to see.

A friend of mine is related to Admiral Tryon, who is responsible for the worst peace time disaster in British naval history, HMS Warrior was his flag ship. My friend is also called Tryon and he went round HMS Warrior and was treated like royalty when he told the guides of his association!

I second that ! Warrior alone is worth going to Portsmouth for, and as te Charlie above says, there are the other two famous ships as well. For me Warrior is the highlight. And as well as those there are quite a few other museums, I think a submarine and a lot else. Much more that you can do in a day.

Top Bottom