Portugal vs. Brazil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
A stinker of a game

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was glad to see only the highlights. The only good thing about the whole sorry game was seeing one Portuguese booked for diving, and (even better) another for trying to get a Brazilian sent off. (Thought the Brazilians looked surprisingly fragile in defence.)

yello

[quote name='swee'pea99'](Thought the Brazilians looked surprisingly fragile in defence.)[/QUOTE]

That's Brazil for you. :biggrin: Defence always seems a bit of an after thought for them. You've got to smile at how they ride their luck sometimes. I reckon they're just used to beach football and outscoring their opponents!

Surprised nobody has mentioned the sending off that wasn't. The one that the Portuguese fella was booked for complaining about/trying to get the sending off. I reckon Ronanldo was through on goal but for the hand ball - surely a sending off.

Poor match. I thought more of a stalemate than lack of effort. Though I don't like the diving antics, etc of the Portuguese team. They are better than that imo and don't need to sully their performances with it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
yello said:
That's Brazil for you. :biggrin: Defence always seems a bit of an after thought for them. You've got to smile at how they ride their luck sometimes. I reckon they're just used to beach football and outscoring their opponents!

Surprised nobody has mentioned the sending off that wasn't. The one that the Portuguese fella was booked for complaining about/trying to get the sending off. I reckon Ronanldo was through on goal but for the hand ball - surely a sending off.

Poor match. I thought more of a stalemate than lack of effort. Though I don't like the diving antics, etc of the Portuguese team. They are better than that imo and don't need to sully their performances with it.
On the contrary. Brazillian teams have traditionally had very secure defences, just look back at their tounament record and see how few goals they concede.

yello

Their defenders, as a rule, have normally looked ropey to me! They might not concede goals but I also know poor drivers that haven't had accidents! Regards the stats, perhaps it's simply that the best defence is a good offence.

But whatever your view, I think it fair to say they are more of an attacking side than a defensive one.

Top Bottom