Posh drivers are better - why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
mm101 said:
I wonder if it boils down to people being unhappy and unsatisfied with their lot. I think the pace of life is pretty frantic and the quality of life not being great.

If you happy and content are you are less prone to unprovoked aggression?

I don't think it is got too much to do with posh and prole - it has a lot to do with manners and common courtesy. I've noticed that people seem less inclined to want to hold doors open for others now. And don't look behind them when walking through doors. I seriously think this is because people are scared of not getting a thankyou in most cases!!!

I think there has been a decline in manners and common courtesy in general and what we see on the roads is a manifestation of that.

I think that you may be the wisest person on this forum.

upsidedown said:
I think that you may be the wisest person on this forum.

mm101 said:
Upside down - I sincerely doubt that!!!

:biggrin:
Based on the posts I've seen from mm101, I'm backing upsidedown on this one. Obviously, I don't agree with mm's post quoted above, but hey, 4 out of 5 ain't bad. :blush:

To carry mm's idea a bit further, the worst ones are the "I'm considewwably more important than youwww" crew, and that could be the "I've just taken out a 125% mortgage / got a big bonus and so have some extra to spare on a flashy motor" as easily as it could be the "I know my rights" type chavscum.

(If you'll indulge me in a few cliches and stereotypes, obviously).

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Isn't it more likely that the ones in the poorer areas are rushing around like blue arsed flies to get the kids dropped off and the shopping done before they go to a full days work whereas the ones in the posh areas have just instructed the servents what to do with the kids and are just off for a lesuirely jaunt with their personal trainer down at the tennis club?

My mum raves on and on about how the people where she lives now (Hayle in Cornwall) are more friendly and relaxed than the people in Birmingham ever were but actually it's most likely because almost all the people that live there are retired! When I was not working I was very friendly and relaxed - it's because everything is on such a massively tight timetable now that I haven't got time to chat about my herbaceous borders with passers by - much as I would love to!!!!! :blush:

Bigtwin

the reluctant cyclist said:
My mum raves on and on about how the people where she lives now (Hayle in Cornwall) are more friendly and relaxed than the people in Birmingham ever were but actually it's most likely because almost all the people that live there are retired!

No it's not, it's coz of that pasty shop!

jimboalee

gemsno4 said:
It is strange you have found that I find drivers in Solihull (when I am driving not cycling) to be some of the most rude and agressive and avoid cycling there for that reason. Maybe they are nicer to cyclists.

I always think of Solihull as very noveau riche if we can work out a pattern here!

If you are caught in 'Rush hour' in and around Solihull and get ill-treated by a motorist, it will probably be a Land Rover worker trying to get back to Shirley, Solihull Lodge or Druids Heath.
If he's in a Merc, Beemer or Audi, he's probably just got off his daily commute up the M42 from his office in London.
In the eighties, Home county wallers sold up and moved north. They got enough lolly to buy a new house and car in Solihull and enough cash to spare to afford the drive to London EVERY day.

There aren't many real Silhillians. Most of Solihull's residents have moved in, bringing their discourtesy with them.

In addition, being close to the NEC, the hotels are full of visitors from all other parts of the country getting lost, agitated and then agressive.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Tynan said:
In London at least I usually find that the more upmarket cars have the arrogant, careless and inconsiderate drivers
How pissed off would you be if you bought an expensive performance car and then you had to drive it in London? Anyone sensible would have a cheap runabout for the urban driving (or they'd use taxis) and they'd keep the nice car at their other house in the country where it's actually fun to drive.

yenrod

> Posh drivers are better - why ?

Coz they dont wanna get 'in with da hood' - no seriously, they dont want to entertain on a social or financial interaction ????????

janm399

Veteran
Reading through this thread, I think it's the community that drives whether you're nice to others or not. The toffs had to interact with other toffs regularly, thus could not really afford to be nasty. I live in a leafy suburb with a really lively community; all my neighbours know that I ride a bike and [I hope] would not dream of driving dangerously around cyclists.

If one lives in a place where it is necessary to be seen as hard and tough, where showing courtesy is a sign of weakness, then I think that directly reflects in their driving style.

Hmm, hoom.

Top Bottom