Possible bike buying scam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
It certainly puts you off selling low value items. They are forever encouraging sellers to offer free postage but once you have paid their fees and the postage, there's not much left for the seller! I can understand why some sellers are charging highish postage, just to offset ebay's fees.

D

Deleted member 26715

Agree, 60p fees on a CD sale or hundreds for a decent bike ... no wonder they get $10 billion revenue a year :wacko:
Last thing that broke my camels back was a £250 item, £20 postage I came out with less than £190

But the potential collection scam has been around for a long time, I never cared what Fleecebay's rule were, if you're collecting it's cash or bank transfer at the time of collection, refunded several PayPal payments in the past.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
I'll never forget getting an ebay message from a chap in Lagos asking me to post the Sony Xperia he had just won so that he could check it out first, then pay the £250 + postage. At least he didn't ask for my passport and bank card to be included in the package, which is surely a bonus :laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

We now use vinted for most of our stuff now. No fees and buyer pays postage.
Tried that a few years ago or at least I think it was that one, there was about 100 people on it, so not really effective.

Edit:- Just thought it wasn't that one it was spot, splat sprot or along those lines

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Preloved is pretty good. You pay an annual fee, there's fewer ads bit generally good quality stuff and more sensible people - at least based on my experience.

Top Bottom