Possible Carbon Damage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
I had a slight prang with a bus this morning - my fault ! :biggrin::smile: Though I somehow managed to stay upright, come to a stop and unclip (only my 3rd ride on SPD-SL's;))

The bus hit the rear wheel of my Fuji (Roubaix RC) and possibly scraped the rear axle as there are a few surface scratches on the QR lever. The wheel is out of true in 2 places by about 5mm - so I'll probably just get a new one (didn't like that wheel anyway).

However, there is also some damage to the rear dropouts, particularly on the LHS. Clicky. The dropout and chainstay is aluminium, seatstays are carbon. The white scuff marks are where, what looks like, glass fibre 'wrap' has come away from the corner of the dropout (see fibres sitting the the axle dropout). And some paint damage.

Here's another view, and the Drive-Side dropout.

Does this damage look 'superficial'? Or is it new frame time?

I've given the rest of the bike a thorough check, and can't find any other damage. No scratches/cracks on carbon stays or alu.

Thanks.

MajorMantra

Looks superficial to me, but don't take my word for it.

Matthew

Globalti

Legendary Member
That looks like superficial paint damage only. Can't think where the white stuff came from unless it's aluminium oxide. Why not stress test the dropouts by putting some weight on them and listening carefully for creaking or cracking noises? You'll never be able to stress them as much as when the bike hits a pothole but it will put your mind at rest.

TBH I think few people have any appreciation of the strength of carbon fibre. My bike fell 20 ft off a bridge (don't ask) and it's fine - but the wheel was wrecked.

OP
OP
buddha

buddha

Veteran
Just had a thought. The glass fibres could be from the bus!
Looking again, the white may just be the undercoat/primer - albeit a very thick one.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
buddha said:
Just had a thought. The glass fibres could be from the bus!
Looking again, the white may just be the undercoat/primer - albeit a very thick one.

Isnt where the wheel goes in, alu? On my carbon forks, the bottom bit is alu, where the wheel goes in.
I think it may be the same there. Isnt there the back bits, the whole drop-out, alu, and it mounts into the carbon fibre tube?
Or am i wrong?
Looks more like the primer there, where its not gone down completely to the metal.
Infact, how it looks, the red bit at the top is alu aswell, and this is where the alu drop-out joins with the carbon tube coming down. So the bit your seeing is just metal, and not any fibres.

Big John

Guru
I've got a carbon frame and had a few tumbles. They don't take the knocks like metal frames whatever people say but they can be repaired, contrary to popular belief and it's cheaper than buying a new frame.

The damage does look superficial looking at the pics. I'm no expert but I'd be happy to jumpback on it and take my chances. Don't go nuts until you're happy it's OK. I actually cracked mine near the seat post clamp and fixed it with a DIY carbon repair kit sourced off the internet. Not pretty but saved me buying a new frame.

Top Bottom