Possible cervical spondylosis - cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madcyclist

I certainly had no intention of starting any arguements or detracting from the assistance or profesionalism of chiropractors.

In the case of Ankylosing Spondylitis manipualtion is an absolute no go due to the calcification that occurs often fusing the joints together. Before the AS diagnosis was confirmed I was unable to walk, stand, sit or lie in any one position for any length of time for a number of days after manipulation by a renowned physio.

I was merely suggesting that a professional opinion should be sought beforehand.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Madcyclist said:
I was merely suggesting that a professional opinion should be sought beforehand.

Nail on head there Mad - and I appreciate it. :angry:

Batzman

snapper_37 said:
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I sit on my arse most of the day working on different PCs which mean I have to twist and turn quite a bit. I've spoken to my boss about setting up the office differently. I'm also giving myself regular breaks and having a walk up and down the corridors (nothing like a gossip anyway).

But ... I'll still be on the bike ;):evil:

You might want to look into some remote desktop software ... that way you can access all of your other PC's from the one you use most often. In most cases, the software is a free download or included with the machine...

jax67

I have cervical spondalosis and lumber spondalosis (osteo arthritis and degeneration of the spine) Im 42, Ive had it since I was 30 due to meningitius and a cycle accident when white van man ran me off the road and broke my ribs.
Since the age of 37 it has increased in severity, and i now live on morphine, valium, anti inflams, anti spasmodics etc and a osteopath and accupuncture. I have been told if i stop cycling I could become immobile and end up unable to walk.
This is because cycling is weight bearing, and keeps the muscles working and reduces the stress hormones and calcium deposits that build up to increase the damage in the joints.
However - I do need to adapt my bike and also have a tourer built for me, as I get numb fingers, numb toes, leg spasms and problems with posture when cycling. Ive found riser bars help and padded bike seats, suspension seat posts and taking a up right position and taking it slow up hills (getting off if the pain gets sharp - stretching by the road side and pushing the bike until it goes off).
Im looking into getting an adapted crank set for the peddles made by longstaffs in Newcastle under lyme - its for anyone with knee rotation problems or hip problems - very niffty bit of kit.
I cycle everywhere as i dont drive and have no access to lifts off folks, so the bikes do the shopping, fetch coal and sticks for the burner, carry books, take crap to the tip, carry files and paperwork and take me to visit housebound friends and friends in carehomes, takes me to gigs and takes me to the pub and to fetch stuff from the garden centre...minus the bike id be house bound and in ten years unable to walk.
I have found that spondalosis affects night vision - as it affects the nerves to the eyes due to decreased blood flow to the brain up the spinal column, so i get blinded if car head lights hit me in dark places as the optical reaction time is slowed. The same goes for over all cognative reaction times at junctions, and hand movements (switching gears, clutching brakes)...so I cycle with caution, dismount of get onto the path at busy junctions, and take care descending steep hills incase my grip goes when braking. Im looking into disc brakes as I am told they are better if your grip is reduced.
I tried a recumberant, but because i also have degeneration in the hips, sacrum joint, pelvis and knees I found it very painful sitting and cycling with one, I got stuck and ceased up. Find Im better on adapted MTBs with wider tires and suspension or as I say - adapted tourers.
A trike would be a good idea - but it would reduce my access to cycleways as I live along a canal in rural south cheshire.
My back crunches all the time - as do my knees and fingers, they all so puff up when cold or if i brake alot or carry things.
Spondalosis also affects blood flow and circulation to the hands, feet, legs and brain and can affect the heart muscles and lung capacity making them work harder to pump oxygen and blood around the body - so its not unusual to get puffed out easier, get a dip in bp, go dizzy, or get cramps when cycling. My rule, go at your own pace, don't race, get off and rest if you need to, suck a boiled sweet (helps) check your bp (keep a small monitor with you). Keep feet and hands warm and carry a med alert incase you need assistance.
But don't give up the bike if you can - it'll keep you out of a wheelchair. and get yourself a really good osteopath and chiropractor who does arthritis care and sports treatment. I go to one in manchester who is fantastic.

jax67

regarding pcs - ive found having a thing to exercise my feet with under the desk helps, as does having a hot water bottle to hand for your feet or to place behind your back.
Ive also taken to sitting on the floor with a cushion and the pc on a stool - i seem better sat on the floor than in a chair at a desk!..something to be said for those gurus in india and their yoga and floor sitting - it does work.
sat on the floor you tend not to slouch, and you go into a natural upright position. you place a cushion under the bum, and a pillow under your knees and a hot water bottle under your feet and a small fan heater behind you for the back - seems to help no end. It was a tip off my osteopath who is also sports physio for manch city foot ball club - and yes - it helps if your at the pc - as does using a lap top instead of a main pc unit..

peanut

Great I got a cold today

Sore throat this afternoon at work and tonight I have not stopped sneezing all night long . Looks like I'm going to be coughing and sniffing through to Christmas.
Anyone else got a cold?

Brianf7

I have been cycling for pceast 56 years with spondolosis bike set up is not what you need
1 lower seat 5mm 2 shorten reach 10mm and set seat as far forward you can to be sure you balance
The idea is to save ham strings as best as possible that will save back and neck
DO NOT put shims in your shoes it will upset the kinetic chain.
Don't slog big gears . do all that first and if pain is bothersome get some nortryptoline lowest dose you can manage 10mg
the adrenaline will help stop pain like a sodium channel block
I race and ride over 200 km a week and although I get pain riding is helping because the adrenaline
is 3 times after a hard ride
Get a video and watch your self both back and side see what it looks like ounce you can ride pain free
leave it alone and keep riding faster comes later with more riding

Brianf7

You might want to look into some remote desktop software ... that way you can access all of your other PC's from the one you use most often. In most cases, the software is a free download or included with the machine...
Oh if the ostiophites get too long and cut into spinal cord more than 10mm they can now be removed
with lazer surgery only two days in hospital.
anyone with spondolosis should see a neurologist not a chiro or physio it is a real problem but you can live with it I am still racing at 69yo and plan to keep going another 5 years at least.

Top Bottom