Possible cervical spondylosis - cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I have a cracking/popping/crunching feeling in my neck which has been going on for years but seems to be getting worse (old age blah blah). I've read up that it usually affects the over 50s - I'm still in my 30s (only just).

I also regularly get a trapped nerve in my upper back.

As much I hate to say it, cycling does seem to increase the symptoms.

My OH has said I can go and see a consultant (she works in ortho theatres) but the first thing they will say is to stop cycling.

NO WAY! :ohmy:

I can't imagine not cycling ever again! So I am putting off going.

Is there anyway I can improve things? Anyone else have similar problem? I also have flat feet and a slight curvature of the spine, which obviously affects what's going on up top, so to speak.

I'm guzzling cod liver oil like nothing. :biggrin:

Recumbent.

Ravenz

I also regularly get a trapped nerve in my upper back.

As much I hate to say it, cycling does seem to increase the symptoms.

if yes to either, be considering your body could have several muscle imbalances that are not helping the situation.
Professional assessment of your posture etc from a physio who has a keen interest in sport related trouble areas or an experienced PT who can devise a fitness plan.. HOWEVER.... I am not saying avoid the purely medical route if symptoms really get bad just because you might bet 'banned' !:blush:

bonj2

I get it aswell... it's the same thing as cracking the knuckles. Apparently if you do it by extending a joint, it's healthy - but if you do it by compressing it, it's harmful. A chiropractor told me that - he cracked my neck for me by pulling my neck and bending my head over to one side - more than it normally does, about 3 cracks. He also did my ribs - which I didn't know you could do - by having me lie on my front, breathe in, and then as i was breathing out pushing down sharply on my back. (I wouldn't try it at home.)
Don't assume that the consultant is going to tell you to stop cycling - if he does, just ignore it - he'll probably only be saying that to cover his own arse, and you'll be in no worse a position than before you went. He might give you other remedies, who knows.
He might just tell you to stop being a girl's blouse and that it's perfectly fine.
Who knows.

bonj2

Seriously though you should just go to a chiropractor. They normally charge about £30 for an initial half hour session and then something like £100 for 5 more sessions, something like that. It is basically just advanced massage techniques that they do, but it does work. They can also tell which vertebrae are out of line if any and straighten them up if they need it. They are pretty good.

Madcyclist

Hi Helen,

I stopped cycling in my early twenties due to recurring lower back problems. The medical profession suspected it might be Ankylosing Spondylitis due to its hereditary nature and family history coupled with an elavated blood sedimentation rate. The prognosis was confirmed in my early thirties. The treatment for AS is anti inflammatories coupled with exercise. Fortunately for me the symptons have been in remission for the past few years and the level of ankylosis in my pelvis and lower spine is mainly in the soft tissues. I found that discovering Pilates was a major turning point for me and have found that having started cycling again in late May this year that after a little initial discomfort on the first few rides that my back has gradually got stronger to the point that i'm no longer waking of a morning with the usual stiffness and dull ache in my lower back.

I've no idea what the crossover would be with your own problems but would highly recommend seeking professional advice and investigating if there are any support groups. I am a member of the National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society and during the dark periods found the hydrotherapy, physiopherapy and support available through them invaluable. There is a belief that inflammatory arthritic conditions (particularly AS and rhuematiod) maybe linked to starch metabolism and that low starch diets help to alleviate the symptons. Personally I can't say that i noticed too much benefit.

You might find the following two links useful particularly with regards to exercise and the low starch diets.

http://www.nass.co.uk/
http://www.kickas.org/

Regards,

Tony.

Madcyclist

Sorry for yet another post.

I strongly disagree with Bonj's suggestion regarding visiting a chiropractor from personnal experience, as any form of manipulation if you are indeed suffering from a form of spondylosis will only excaberate it.

Regards,

Tony.

bonj2

Madcyclist said:
Sorry for yet another post.

I strongly disagree with Bonj's suggestion regarding visiting a chiropractor from personnal experience, as any form of manipulation if you are indeed suffering from a form of spondylosis will only excaberate it.

Regards,

Tony.

Nope. That'll only "exacerbate" it if you go to an actual witch doctor who doesn't know what the f*ck they're doing - the chiropractery industry is regulated these days, you know.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Bonj, Madcyclist is right, chiropracty is possibly the worst thing that anyone with spondylosis could do. Can we not turn this thread into an argument?
--------------------
The internet is great, we are all allowed an opinion, but as with any medical problems, you really need to visit a Dr asap.
Snapper, do you know what the problem is yet?
Have you had any diagnosis?
This would be my first suggestion. Get correctly diagnosed

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm even more confused now lol!

My OH went to a chiropracter a few months ago with a back injury and ended up knocking it on the head after 2 sessions due to the pain the manipulations caused. I don't fancy that myself! She know goes to physio at the hospital she works at which seems to be doing the trick.

I think my best course of action is to re-visit the GP (been there a few times) and demand I get referred to someone who can confirm what the problem is.

Madcyclist - I know where you're coming from, I just don't *know* if spondy is the problem here. Thanks for the good advice though.

Although I like the look of the 'bents, I really can't see myself getting one. Not knocking something I haven't tried.:smile:

I sit on my arse most of the day working on different PCs which mean I have to twist and turn quite a bit. I've spoken to my boss about setting up the office differently. I'm also giving myself regular breaks and having a walk up and down the corridors (nothing like a gossip anyway).

I'm also looking at my posture as my old dear says I'm getting very round shouldered!!! That's all I need! I reckon I'm going to look 60 before I'm 40 ;)

But ... I'll still be on the bike ;):evil:

bonj2

Steve Austin said:
Bonj, Madcyclist is right, chiropracty is possibly the worst thing that anyone with spondylosis could do. Can we not turn this thread into an argument?
--------------------
The internet is great, we are all allowed an opinion, but as with any medical problems, you really need to visit a Dr asap.
Snapper, do you know what the problem is yet?
Have you had any diagnosis?
This would be my first suggestion. Get correctly diagnosed

No he isn't right, the chiropractor will always ask what the problem is, why you have come to him. He doesn't just stick you on a bed and launch straight into a pummelling session. If you tell him that you think you've got spondylosis, then he'll probably know what that is better than you do, and thus what you should and shouldn't do a lot better than you do.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Have contacted my patients aid insurance thingy and as long as I get referred from a doc, I can go and see a chiropractor for nowt. They will cover £300 of treatment. Will think about it at weekend.

Top Bottom