Possible entry-level bikecam? (Less than £50)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

Extra Value Digital 5mp Video camera (ebuyer.com)

R0130928-02.jpg

Too big to put on your helmet, but you could probably make a handlebar mount.

One of the reviewers mentions that he uses it as a bikecam - but he also says it'll only take SD cards up to 1GB.

I'd like to know what the battery life is like.

andygates

Longer than a 1Gb card will take to fill.

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

Actually I just found some other specs online which suggest that it will take 2GB cards, which is what I'd expect as (AFAIK) the SD spec goes up to 2GB and cards greater than 2GB are SDHC cards. 2GB is also the FAT16 limit.

Certainly a possible solution for some. Although it should be noted of course that the 5 megapixel sensor will not result in 5 megapixel video!

Might be a bit conspicuous on the front of the bike when going through rougher areas :blush:.

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

Yeah - the video is 640x480 @ 30fps.

My guess is that the low light performance will be pretty poor as well. Still, it's very tempting, especially as I am without a bikecam at the moment.

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

I don't think 'Lucas Brunelle does it' can ever really be used as proof that something is a good idea! I like his setup, but it's not something I'd want to wear on my daily commute!

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

Hmm - I found another one - exactly the same price by the same manufacturer - it's about the size of a pea.

R0130930-01.jpg

R0130930-06.jpg

As long as it could record with its lcd panel shut, I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to attach to a helmet...

Runs on 3xAAA batteries rather than a lithium rechargeable though.

Go on Tim, you know you want to...... go on, go on, go on.....:blush::biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
the built in screen is extra cost and extra weight and bulk though init

that said it sure is dinky

wonder abut how robust/wet proof it'd be though?

Tynan

Veteran
bloody hell, that brunelle bloke does that footage from a bike?

I assumed he was on some sort of scooter, from the way he kept up and got such steady footage at the same time, respek init

Top Bottom