Possible First sportive ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Right just seen a 30 mile sportive is happening at the end of July in my area.

The question is have I really got time to get ready for it given I am only a week into cycling?

Fitness wise I am quite fit my rides this week have been about 7 to 11 miles a mix of flat and some hills. (need to download my rides to see the stats)

Been looking at the whole area of cycle training and fitness but not sure what's right and what's wrong.

I've still got a few basics to learn like drinking and feeding on the move and at some point looking at going clipless. Balance wise I am mostly ok still have the odd wobble.

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll be fine, just ride your bike as much as possible. It's not a race, just a ride with others around you ;). There's nothing to prevent you from actually stopping to drink. Indeed if it's on open roads, you'll need to stop anyhow from time to time

Doobiesis

Über Member
I’d say go for it. 30 miles is very achievable from what you’ve mentioned. You’ll find yourself proud you could do it and it’ll set the bar a bit higher in your everyday mileage.

When I first did 26 miles it made me maintain that on every ride. And sportives are good fun where you look out for each other and it’s fun :smile:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The question is have I really got time to get ready for it given I am only a week into cycling?

Fitness wise I am quite fit my rides this week have been about 7 to 11 miles a mix of flat and some hills.

I've still got a few basics to learn like drinking and feeding on the move

Just up your miles my 2 or 3 on each ride & you'll easy be able to manage 30 miles at the end of next month :okay:

Nothing wrong with stopping to take a drink if you are not confident doing it on the move, or take a drink when/if you stop at a junction. Feeding shouldn't be an issue on a 30 mile ride, but if there is a feed station, it would be rude not to stop ^_^

rugby bloke

Veteran
You will be fine. Remember its not a race - take your time, stop for a breather, a drink, some food or even a cake when and if the mood takes you. Once you have broken 20 miles in training you will be well on the way.
When riding in a group stay aware of what is happening around you and never undertake on the left.
If you can find someone riding at the same pace to go round with even better - most people on Sportives are happy to link up for company.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Give it a go :okay: The few I've been on have been very relaxed affairs, you'll soon find your mileage creeping up :okay: I did my first late last year after riding for about 12 months; It was a 50 miler, which was about 20 miles further than I'd ever ridden before. At the end of it I felt like I could have kept going, I think the atmosphere helps push you along :laugh: I've done a 40 and a 60 miler so far this year, with a 50 next week and a 70 the week after... They're rather moreish :smile: I'm planning my first century later in the year :ohmy::laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've still got a few basics to learn like drinking and feeding on the move and at some point looking at going clipless. .

All 3 of these things are completely unnecessary for the non-competitive leisure or cummuting cyclist. If you get thirsty or hungry, stop and have a breather at the same time as you refuel. Unless you are trying to beat someone else, it doesn't matter a toss if you spend a couple of minutes stationary eating & drinking. It's a good opportunity to give your legs and backside a break too!
As for going clipless, I cannot understand for the life of me what the appeal of these are, and why some people don't consider anyone who rides flat pedals in normal footwear to be a "proper" cyclist. They have got to be the most utterly pointless and dangerous accessory ever devised. I can only assume some riders like them because they are in the habit of spinning their legs so fast that the cleats are the only way of keeping their feet attached to the pedals. At normal cadences you feet stay firmly planted on the pedals regardless - without the need to be mechanically attached to the bike.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not knowing how to ride in a group would be my concern.

I see what you mean, but I don't think it's that big a deal.

It's not exactly rocket science. Just be aware of others around you. We aren't talking about through-and-off chain gang riding here. Just tootling round a 30 mile route.
I'm with Guy on this one.

I used to ride the Manchester 100 every year. That was a 100 mile route. Some time later they introduced a 100 km version for people who didn't want to/couldn't do the full route. The routes were the same except for a shortcut taken by the 100 km riders to cut nearly 40 miles out of the longer route. It meant that a lot of 100 mile riders ended up overtaking a lot of 100 km riders. It was often chaotic!

I saw one 100 km rider suddenly brake hard in the middle of a big bunch on a busy road to answer his phone. He caused tens of riders to scatter around him, and drivers to swerve. I also saw people standing astride their bikes well out in the road eating sandwiches ...

It may not be rocket science but it isn't just a case of not making a mistake oneself, it is also being aware of the mistakes that some other riders (and drivers) are likely to make when big groups are out on the road.

As for doing the 30-miler ... It shouldn't be a problem. 5 or 6 weeks is plenty of time to build up from 11 mile rides to riding 30 miles. Just add a bit on to ride distances each week until then and it will soon feel ok. Push on a bit when feeling frisky, and rest when feeling tired.

On the event make sure to eat and drink enough, don't rush, and have a good ride.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sportives get a pretty bad rep on here as being hotbeds of extremely competitive riding combined with poor road skills. That's not been my experience at all from the few that I've done.
You're forgetting the pointless bureaucracy, littering and profiteering, to name three other reasons for the bad rep that spring immediately to mind. Not all sportives have all of the problems, of course. There may even still be some that have none of them! :eek: :laugh:

Back to the OP: 30 miles is usually 3 hours relaxed for most people, so keep stepping up the distances and you should be capable of it as long as there's no time limit, unless you run into problems. Maybe look for a relaxed local cycling group that can show you a variety of routes to keep it interesting and also familiarise yourself with sharing roads with other cyclists?

snorri

Legendary Member
Not slamming on the anchors in the middle of a flow of traffic, and not eating your lunch in the middle of the road aren't special cycling skills that need to be learned, they're basic common sense. And anticipating daft things from other road users, and approaching unfamiliar situations with extra caution is similar common sense.
Relying on 'common sense' in new situations is rather a risky strategy.

Top Bottom