Wales : Clwyd Chester to Llandudno - June 30th 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I do semi-regular extended rides through North Wales throughout the summer, and I'm wondering whether anyone would be interested in joining me, so am trying to gauge interest.

For convenience purposes the starting point will be Chester station, returning to the same point in the evening. The route will head out from Chester towards Mold, Ruthin and on to Betws-y-Coed, before heading over the Pen-Y-Pass and down to Llanberis, then along the coast road to Llandudno (about 100miles) and from there back to Chester along the coastal route, either the flat route along the coast or a slightly hillier variant.

The first part of the route will likely be a headwind on the way out, but often sheltered due to hills, with a tailwind on the way back.

The route is here - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26619208 - and about 240km (150miles) with 2700m (9000ft) climbing, so not flat. I'd expect stops around 25,50 and 100miles to start, with a possible stop at about 135miles if needed.

The route is also likely subject to change, particularly those parts between Ruthin and Betws-y-Coed, as I try to remove some of the less interesting parts (main roads) and put in more back roads, so it;s not final. But as it stands I've ridden all parts of this route this year, and they are very rideable, with good surfaces.

elevation_profile.jpg

As this is my first time organising any form of ride, any suggestions welcome, but I anticipate this being a no-drop ride all the way through, with pacing somewhere between 10-15mph average.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It looks like a great route but I think you will struggle to get a group round it in daylight unless you drop the no-drop clause! :okay:

Once you factor in the stops, any potential mechanical issues and people just discovering that they have over-extended themselves, I think that you could well be coming back in darkness unless you set off at sunrise. I think you would have to be very sure that those joining you are up to it, or are able to fend for themselves if they couldn't keep up.

Is there any obvious way you could cut it down to 100 miles, or at a stretch (say) - 200 km? I think a shorter version of it would make a great day out.

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
It looks like a great route but I think you will struggle to get a group round it in daylight unless you drop the no-drop clause! :okay:
Once you factor in the stops, any potential mechanical issues and people just discovering that they have over-extended themselves, I think that you could well be coming back in darkness unless you set off at sunrise. I think you would have to be very sure that those joining you are up to it, or are able to fend for themselves if they couldn't keep up.
Is there any obvious way you could cut it down to 100 miles, or at a stretch (say) - 200 km? I think a shorter version of it would make a great day out.

Daylight is one of my concerns, which is why I'd like to do it in around June when the days are longer. It's not a flat route, but it's not horrifically hilly either, with a few steady climbs and the remainder being either dead flat or undulating gently. I'm quite happy to drop the no-drop clause, but there are fairly long gaps between the stops, with few stopping places along the way, and my concern was that if someone got dropped, and then had a mechanical or got lost they could be pretty much screwed.

It is possible to shorten the route, insofar as there are bail out points at Llandudno, and then following the coastline around, there are bailout points about every 10km or so along the railway line, it's just that first 160km or so which is problematic :laugh:. It is possible to shorten it by cutting across inland from Betws to Llandudno, which also cuts out a fair amount of climbing, but the downside of that is that you remove, in my opinion, the best stretch of the ride, which is from Llanberis over to Llandudno along the coastal path with the prevailing wind behind you.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Tentatively interested in the first half of it. The whole thing is too long for me, and if the speed is at the upper end of the estimate, too fast as well. But I shall watch with interest in case I am free and in better shape at the time. I now have a relative on Anglesey so I could bail at Bangor and crash over there.

robjh

Legendary Member
Same here, tentatively interested, but as @ColinJ says, 150 miles looks a bit long for a forum ride - even with a small group of keen riders, once you've factored in differing abilities, hills, a few stops and 'events' I reckon closer to the 100 mile mark would be more realistic, and would attract more people.

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
Ok, taking on board the above comments, the proposed route will be shrunk from 150miles to about 100, with the ride ending in Llandudno at Tramway Fish and Chips, in the same way that @nickyboy's forum ride does, just approaching from the opposite direction.

I'll adjust the ride accordingly, with Chester remaining the proposed start point. Regular trains run from Llandudno to Chester and onwards to Manchester, so it's a convenient point. It'll also reduce the amount of climbing to about 2300m.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm definitely interested. Hopefully, @Littgull will be too because it would be nice to have company for what would be a total of about 5 hours on trains. I organise a long ride in Cheshire every June so I will make sure to avoid a clash with this ride.

Hi @si_c. Yes, I would be interested too. North Wales is fantastic for cycling. As @ColinJ has mentioned the ride distance would need to be sufficiently tailored to accommodate the start and finish times for those getting there. We had a family holiday in Snowdonia last August. We had a great time but the train trips to Llandudno and back from Manchester on consecutive Saturdays were absolutely horrendous! The trains were dangerously overcrowded! I made the 'mistake' of taking my MTB and had to witness other passengers jamming suitcases against the spokes and leaning on the bike with me 'stranded' further up the very obstructed carriage unable to do anything about it. Hopefully, in May or June it will be a lot quieter than August but best to avoid the two May bank holiday weekends when planning the date.

clid61

Veteran
im up for that , got train to rhyl cycled to bodelwydan castle for a family celebration. then rode home to wigan on the sunday. love wales , angelsey is ace for bikepacking too

GuyBoden

Guru
Excellent idea, nice route, I could easily ride to Chester, but unfortunately I'm not fit enough for climbing hills nowadays. I even struggle up Frodsham Hill...........

Top Bottom