Possible solo cycle-tour around Ghana - any tips/advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I may need to go to Ghana in the next few months for family reasons, and am considering doing some cycle-touring around the country (north and south) for 3/4 weeks before spending a few days in Kumasi. I've not been to sub-Saharan Africa before (only backpacking in Egypt in the mid 80s and Tunisia in the mid 90s). I've searched on this website, Cycling UK, and CrazyOnYourBike for recent cycling trips but could only find one from around start of Covid19 in 2020 (https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 22663&v=Iu - which was fairly useful).

My main queries are:

- I'm thinking of flying with British Airways from London to Accra. BA's policy on bikes (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/in ... -equipment) states "..... tell us firstly how big your bike container is and, secondly, how much it weighs. Clothes and other personal items must not be packed in your bike cover/box Your bicycle can be transported in a hard shell box, padded case or heavy-duty polythene bike bag up to 190 x 95 x 65cm (75 x 37.5 x 25.5in)." Is BA strict about the weight (23kg), size, material, and content of the container? I usually get a large cardboard bike box (approx. 147 x 22 x 90 cm, 3kg) from my local bike shop, and stuff some clothes and bike tools and accessories inside. Keeping to 23kgs might be difficult with my touring bike, the weight of the box, padding, some clothes, bike tools and accessories. But I'll do a dry run soon.
- What type of bike would be best for Ghana's variable roads? (I'm mindful of a couple of photos Accra-based @Cycleops posted a few years ago about the variable state of Ghana's roads.) I've got a flatbar Condor Heritage (26 inch tyres) and a Ridgeback World Panorama (700 x 35 tyres} with drop handlebars. The couple in the above COYB blog toured a few weeks in early 2020 (mainly in the south I think) on drop handle tourers.

- How easy is it to find clean, safe, reasonably okay hotels for say £15 or less a night outside Accra and Kumasi?

- What are the roads like re safety (e.g. theft and robberies) traffic and road quality?

- I've read the Foreign Office website advice about Ghana, and listened to a couple of recent radio programmes about Ghana on BBC Sounds and am aware of the recent demonstrations about inflation, the high cost of living, alleged mismanagement by the government and Bank of Ghana, and IMF intervention. Is there much tension in the towns and cities, in the country generally?

- Are there any recent cycle-touring blogs/articles about Ghana you can send me the links to?
In recent years I've cycle-toured alone on my flatbar Condor Heritage (26" wheels) in Vietnam (HCMC to Danang in 2020, and around the Mekong Delta in March) and with a friend in Cambodia (2018) in trips of 3/4 weeks. Ghana it seems would be more of a challenge......(?)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think that @Cycleops is a Ghana local. He may be able to help.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks @slowmotion .
I am indeed on Ghana and have been here for some time and do a lot of cycling locally but not much outside Accra, in fact none.
Firstly I'd suggest you leave your bike and buy one here it'll save you a lot of hassle. There are loads for sale, mostly mountain bikes but other types also abound. Prices are reasonable. I've bought road and mountain bikes here and have all been generally good. It's up to you of course. If you need new spares there are two Decathlon stores in Accra.
I'd also suggest you don't go BA. I assume you're in Bromley so KLM is a better bet as you can easily get to London City from there and on to Accra via Schiphol. It's a small airport so check in is easy. Something to consider anyway.
The main roads in Accra are usually very good but side roads are poor. I think the main roads outside Accra are quite good too. Drivers are quite considerate of cyclists but it might be different in the rest of the country.
If you're coming around the end of the year it will be very hot so you'll need to carry plenty of water.
Although there has been a lot of demonstrations about the economy they shouldn't affect you but I'd say it's driven up the level of crime so you need to make sure the place you're staying is secure. Generally I'd say Ghana is very safe except perhaps after dark in some places.
Guest houses in Accra are around £20/25, usually with AC, a night upwards, maybe cheaper outside Accra so you probably find £15 a night.
Anything else you want to know please send me a PM and I'll try to answer your questions.
Make sure you have your yellow fever Vax, no real need for it but they seem to be very insistent on it at the airport.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BromleyBoy

Many thanks @Cycleops. I'll probably go to Ghana in Jan/Feb 2024 if I do need to go. My initial thinking was to fly with my bike from my nearest airport Gatwick direct to Accra with BA. I'll have a think about KLM and buying a mountain bike in Accra and will you send you a PM about the latter and other queries next week once I've done more reading of the guidebooks, Tripadvisor, etc.

OP
OP
B

BromleyBoy

Hi @Cycleops, how do I send you a private message (or personal conversation)? I've been searching on the Site forums and other areas of this website, but haven't found how to do this yet.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Hi @BromleyBoy :hello:
With my Moderator's hat on...
AFAIK, you need a certain number of posts before the Private Message function kicks in. However ...
... I think I have found the right box to tick to grant you that permission early, so please try to PM @Cycleops and, if still not working, maybe he could PM you as that might work also.

If neither plan works, please use the Contact Us link on the blue toolbar at the bottom right of every page.
HTH :unsure:

Top Bottom