possible to use a from MTB disc brake wheel for a fixed conversion?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by montage, 18 Apr 2010.

1. montage

montage God Almighty

I swear I have seen it on this very forum, but cannot find the thread, but is it possible to simply remove the disc brake fro ma front mtb wheel and bolt on a cog?...therefore creating a fixed wheel?
    What else would need to be done to it?

EDIT: Done some more research so some more questions:

1. Will a bolt on cassette cog fit to any brake disc mount? If not then how can I check these are compatible?

2. Can the brake disc mount be moved along the hub with spacers to get a better chainline?

3. What is the standard spacing of a front mtb hub and the rear of an "older" steel bike?....if the modern spacings of the mtb hubs are more than the spacings of the newer bikes then am I knackered?

4. What bolt on cassette cogs can I use? Or is drilling one going to be cheaper
    Anything I haven't thought about?

2. OP
    OP
    montage

montage God Almighty

http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33539&highlight=fixed+project

found the thread!

3. mattsccm

mattsccm Well-Known Member

Try Charlie the bike Monger . Website some where. Bolt on cogs are not hard to find. Even on ebay

4. RedBike

RedBike New Member

They're not cassette cogs or track cogs. They're fixed wheel sprockets pre-drilled with the correct pattern for a 6bolt hub.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/fixed-gear-co...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item19bae75851

Yes, you put a few washers behind the sprocket to re-position it.

A front hub is 100mm, I know that older 7speed MTBs used to have 130mm spacing and its possible that a 5speed MTB was only 120/126mm spacing, although i've never owned one. Modern hubs are 135mm.
    If the frame is steel then you can probably spring it in/out to fit either a new MTB hub or a track hub.

I've forgotten where I purchased mine from, somewhere off ebay. It was about £15, so no its not really much cheaper to drill your own.

5. RedBike

RedBike New Member

Unless the disc wheel has a braking surface (losts of disc wheels dont) then you wont be able to mount a rear brake.

6. OP
    OP
    montage

montage God Almighty

very good point, hadn't thought of this

7. OP
    OP
    montage

montage God Almighty

will check it out- cheers!

8. OP
    OP
    montage

montage God Almighty

Thanks for the help redbike - perhaps I should have mentioned that I plan to put this onto a road frame though? Not a mtb frame teeheee

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice