possible to use a from MTB disc brake wheel for a fixed conversion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
I swear I have seen it on this very forum, but cannot find the thread, but is it possible to simply remove the disc brake fro ma front mtb wheel and bolt on a cog?...therefore creating a fixed wheel?
What else would need to be done to it?

EDIT: Done some more research so some more questions:

1. Will a bolt on cassette cog fit to any brake disc mount? If not then how can I check these are compatible?

2. Can the brake disc mount be moved along the hub with spacers to get a better chainline?

3. What is the standard spacing of a front mtb hub and the rear of an "older" steel bike?....if the modern spacings of the mtb hubs are more than the spacings of the newer bikes then am I knackered?

4. What bolt on cassette cogs can I use? Or is drilling one going to be cheaper
Anything I haven't thought about?

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
https://www.cyclechat.net/

found the thread!

RedBike

1. Will a bolt on cassette cog fit to any brake disc mount? If not then how can I check these are compatible?

They're not cassette cogs or track cogs. They're fixed wheel sprockets pre-drilled with the correct pattern for a 6bolt hub.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/fixed-gear-co...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item19bae75851

2. Can the brake disc mount be moved along the hub with spacers to get a better chainline?
Yes, you put a few washers behind the sprocket to re-position it.

3. What is the standard spacing of a front mtb hub and the rear of an "older" steel bike?....if the modern spacings of the mtb hubs are more than the spacings of the newer bikes then am I knackered?
A front hub is 100mm, I know that older 7speed MTBs used to have 130mm spacing and its possible that a 5speed MTB was only 120/126mm spacing, although i've never owned one. Modern hubs are 135mm.
If the frame is steel then you can probably spring it in/out to fit either a new MTB hub or a track hub.

4. What bolt on cassette cogs can I use? Or is drilling one going to be cheaper
Anything I haven't thought about?
I've forgotten where I purchased mine from, somewhere off ebay. It was about £15, so no its not really much cheaper to drill your own.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Thanks for the help redbike - perhaps I should have mentioned that I plan to put this onto a road frame though? Not a mtb frame teeheee

Top Bottom