1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly insane Brompton tour in France, summer 2018.

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by chriscross1966, 8 Jan 2017.

Tags:
  1. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Active Member

OK folks, this might be a rambling stream of consciousness post... Normally my summer revolves around working at the Glastonbury festival and it sort of squats there like a freshly calved ice shelf off Antarctica... However it is a fallow year in 2018, so I will have a spare couple of weeks of leave to play with.... So I'm planning on doing some touring in France... As I'm a glutton for punishment my plan is to get myself to Luzenac station and climb Ax 3 Domaines, cycle and train to Sault with a diversion via Montsegur and then climb Ventoux, then train and bike to somewhere near Grenoble I guess and then up Alpe d'Huez... I'll be on a heavily modified Brompton (11-speed, anything that can be carbon or titanium will be). Planning on camping, but the climbs will be luggage free barring gels, drinks and a puncture fixing toolkit. Assuming out and back travel take a day each I will have nine days to play with. Given my commute is getting a chunk longer soon, so I should be decently fit, is this likely to kill me given I'll be 52 when it happens.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2017
  2. alicat

alicat Guru

It depends in part how well your Brompton fits you. I took mine on a club run once and found I was being dropped by snails on the climbs. To make it worse, after 20 miles I had to get off and walk for a while to relieve a pain in my groin.

Others seem to like touring on Bromptons but it doesn't suit me.

3. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Do it. I would.

I've ridden my loaded B up and over some pretty steep hills and like any other bike, practice and time in the saddle makes perfect. I've also done a 100 miler without comfort issues on the B too.

54 in a couple of weeks.

Where I find the B a pain is on Oxfordshire unbelievably poor road surfaces, but that is generally not an issue in France.

Enjoy!

4. The great thing about riding a Brompton for any distance over 10 miles is that people find it exceedingly impressive, and say things like "Wow! You rode all the way to Brighton* ... on a Brompton!. But it's only got little wheels!! You must be really fit!".

This is a cue for you look modest and say "oh, it was nothing, really".

* Other amazingly impressive destinations are available.

smith4188, wanda2010, mjr and 2 others like this.
  5. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

This^^^^ in spades!

Oh, and pedalling past people pushing 3k's worth of CF up Ditchling Beacon....

Dogtrousers likes this.
  6. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Active Member

My Brompton will soon BE 3K's worth of CF.... well CF+Titanium...

Dogtrousers likes this.