Post-Brexit/Covid Camping Tours in France in 2022 - Why Not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brian_k

Regular
Hi Folks,
Having toured four times in France from 2013-2018 in self-contained camping mode, mostly using municipal camping sites, we have found these holidays some of the best holidays of our lives.
But....in post-Brexit and nearly post-Covid 2022, are there any problems that might make us have second thoughts about a last minute holiday in July 2022? We would plan for a 10-night Caen to Caen loop covering around 500 - 600 miles.
I'd be grateful for feedback from anyone with direct experience in 2022 re any problems that are likely to arise, the obvious questions that spring to mind are:
  • Covid issues - we are triple vaccinated, last vacs were late in 2021
  • Anti-British sentiments, particularly post-Brexit
Perhaps there are other issues that spring to mind. In the past, we only experienced problems once outside Montpellier where there seemed to be a distinct negative vibe. But in NW and central France we only had positive experiences.
Constructive comments are gratefully received.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Why would there be anti British sentiments post Brexit?
There are possibly many other reasons for anti British sentiments, but I doubt if Brexit is one of them.

bluenotebob

Veteran
No problems that I can think of.

On the Covid front, you're probably better vaccinated than most of the French.

If you haven't been here since 2018, you'll find that your pound won't go as far, as GBP has weakened against EUR - so bear that in mind. In terms of daily expenditure, there's another thread in this sub-forum with lots of comments about contactless payments etc.

You shouldn't have any problems coming into France, although - in theory, at least - you're not supposed to bring in cheese or meat. But I talked to someone the other day who came in through Cherbourg and the gendarmes waved the whole boatload through...

No anti-Brit sentiment here resulting from Brexit - without wishing to step into NACA territory, suffice it to say that the UK has suffered more from Brexit than another eurozone country - so the French reaction is just a shrug and "it's your problem, not ours - deal with it".

Come over and have a great holiday !

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Went on Eurostar recently and the only additional check was the vaccination status. The entry queues were longer as all passports need to be stamped and UK Border staff were questioning more non UK passport holders.

Petrichorwheels

I'd chill about the supposed brexit problems - with the fading of the plague foreign folk are coming here aren't they?
IF we were so inclined/unreasonable/petty we could find any number of reasons to blame those individuals for the current and past courses of action of their countries/leaders.
So I'd just go.
wherever.
(though have made a mental note about montpellier)

OP
OP
B

brian_k

Regular
I'd chill about the supposed brexit problems - with the fading of the plague foreign folk are coming here aren't they?
IF we were so inclined/unreasonable/petty we could find any number of reasons to blame those individuals for the current and past courses of action of their countries/leaders.
So I'd just go.
wherever.
(though have made a mental note about montpellier)

Montpellier .... we won't forget that in a hurry.
We cycled from Le Havre to Montpellier on our first tour, with return pre-booked with EBE. It was a fab experience overall though we did have some challenges. We felt under pressure to make sure that we wouldn't fail to be there to get the coach, because there isn't a plan B, and so we just kept trying to bank miles every day, and arrived at Montpellier 4 days ahead of schedule. We reached Montpellier at around 7pm, got straight down to the beach and took photos paddling in the Med. We camped at one of the main beach sites and were serenaded with seemingly night-long disco music and noisy revellers - this isn't what we'd look for in any camp site, and we decided that we didn't want to wait there for 4 days for the coach, so we headed back inland 50-60 miles for the next 4 days. However, it was the traffic, and inconsiderate driving that stood out in Montpellier, it was so unlike the great majority of the tour - we felt harried, squeezed and regularly needing to take evading action - what a shock that was. I put that down to lots of tourist, beach-focused sun and sangria people. We found similar localised tourist 'hot spots' in a couple of other places too, like some of the hills on the banks of the Loire near Saumur on a hot summer's day - not the place for relaxed cycling.

The other challenges that we had were:
1) the occasional long-deserted - with tumbleweed - camp site and having to find a plan B at the end of a long day
2) one thinly populated site with 4 other units - only to find they all disappeared before our eyes on the afternoon that we arrived leaving us all alone at night except for a bunch of lads that decided to revisit in the small hours and do some rally cross around the camp site - we saw car tracks up a steep bank 5m from our tent where they had been before and it seemed like we wouldn't make it out in one piece - we did of course, but we felt horribly vulnerable
3) often impossible to get groceries on a Sunday - so don't forget to stock up on Saturday.

Most restaurants were fine, but the odd few seemed to think that they were above serving cyclists - and we weren't rag-tag scruffs either. Generally it wasn't a problem, in our 65 nights of camping, we had trouble on 3 or 4 occasions after setting up camp and being turned away from the only local restaurant with typical excuses of being full, no reservation, kitchen just closing etc, and in some places there simply wasn't anywhere else to eat.

Why do we like to go to France? Because it is fab, safe cycling, good road surfaces, lovely coffee and pastries in the morning, burning enough calories each day to enjoy cooked lunch AND dinner. And when you get back home, leave the luggage in the hallway and set some PBs on your local segments with the benefit of that 2-3 weeks loaded training course. What is not to like?

OP
OP
B

brian_k

Regular
So here we are, on the 28th of July following 10 lovely days and nights in France. I needn't have been concerned. Practically eeverything is unchanged from 2018, a Fab experience.

nagden

Friends of ours used our house as a base and followed the Vélo Francette cycle route from Caen to La Rochelle. They loved it. Found the campsites to be excellent. Enjoy your journey.

OP
OP
B

brian_k

Regular
Friends of ours used our house as a base and followed the Vélo Francette cycle route from Caen to La Rochelle. They loved it. Found the campsites to be excellent. Enjoy your journey.
We rode along a number of the riverside and disused rail routes and they were good. However, they are a bit monotonous and so we think anyone doing the long runs for example Caen to La Rochelle will need some determination, especially with children. We averaged 48 miles per day for 11 days on our Caen-Caen loop, and with setting up a new camp each day, our days were pretty full. I'd be surprised if those with younger children would manage that sort of mileage.

Last edited:

albal

Guru
Due to depart UK yesterday 12th for France and onward to Germany, but. I caught COVID! In France (I work there).

So sitting it out til i,m negative, whenever that is?

Top Bottom