Post Christmas Shape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've not done much the last few days since New Year's Day but I think I am in pretty much the same shape as I was before Christmas.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It’s not over indulging that gets me, it’s the cabin fever.

I rode every day but one over Christmas. Not mega miles, but every day I could. The day I didn’t ride I went for a walk.
We of course had other plans besides me getting on a bike. Some days, to fit a ride in I was up and out before 7am and I felt really good. The last 3 days of my holiday I kind of started to slip into lethargy mode, one day I didn’t get out of bed til 8.30!
This makes me feel worse than over indulging.

I’ve enjoyed getting up at 6 the past 2 days.

This is partly why I’m not overly keen on Christmas.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Christmas Eve Zwift ride
Christmas Day some evening weights in the garage after everyone had fallen asleep
Boxing Day trundle on the bike to a corner house cafe stop
New Year’s Eve Zwifting followed by some weights until 10pm
I’m a sad bast*rd

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Oh boy. For once my Christmas involved far more food and alcohol than is safe, and far less cycling or any other exercise than I would like. I hopped on the bike for the first 5 mile commute since mid Dec and really felt the difference.

Do people come out of the "party season" in worse or better shape?
I have stayed the same. But then i party all year.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Unfortunately (at the time) I had "Hand Foot and Mouth disease" over Christmas so lost my sense of taste so did not pig out - so the works trousers now fit the same as they did before.

In previous years I have recovered using my rough rule of thumb where a mile burns 50 Calories and the slightly more accurate fact that to loose 1Lb fat you need a 3500 Calorie deficit (thus for me 70 miles per pound). So if i put on 4Lb and I up my weekly milage by 35 miles then I'll take 8 weeks to burn it off assuming all other variables remain the same. Obviously this varies with age, weight, sex and bike type.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
If you come out of the party season in better shape you're doing it wrong.

I don't feel the pressures of the bikini season as a 46 year old male, and don't have any weighing scales to confirm the Xmas damage. Usually I ping off one of the buttons on my trousers, which acts as a final marker to do something about it. Unless its still really cold, then it can wait a bit longer.

Adam4868

Guru
If you come out of the party season in better shape you're doing it wrong.

I don't feel the pressures of the bikini season as a 46 year old male, and don't have any weighing scales to confirm the Xmas damage. Usually I ping off one of the buttons on my trousers, which acts as a final marker to do something about it. Unless its still really cold, then it can wait a bit longer.
You've not gone down the elasticated waist yet ? You don't know what your missing.

Top Bottom