Post crash repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kcyclist

IMG_20210301_105009.jpg

Hi all, went down at weekend on right side of bike. Rear derailleur and hanger bent.
Can they be bent back or us it best to replace? Is this a DIY or bike shop

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Replace, without question. Hangers are designed to bend so your frame doesn't.

OP
OP
K

Kcyclist

So replace derailleur and hanger ? It's tiagra 10 speed. Any specific hanger which is best? Thanks 👍

OP
OP
K

Kcyclist

Thanks all^_^
I have ordered the hanger which fits the frame ! And replacement derailleur.
Back out on bike soon hopefully!

Chislenko

Veteran
Would you actually replace or just bend back into shape, I have in the past with no problems.

Let's face it when you use one of the bespoke hanger alignment tools they exert a fair bit of force on the hanger so they must be designed with some strength in mind.

I came across a woman recently who had fell off and bent her hanger into the wheel, straightened it by hand and eye and she cycled off with all gears back working happy as Larry, whoever Larry is!

Would you actually replace or just bend back into shape, I have in the past with no problems.

Let's face it when you use one of the bespoke hanger alignment tools they exert a fair bit of force on the hanger so they must be designed with some strength in mind.
Mainly used for integral steel hangers. Alu ones will break ( as designed) if you bend them too many times or too hard. Integral aluminium hangers are a design flaw.

si_c

Guru
For that hanger definitely replace - the derailleur may well be OK though - worth checking before you replace it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If you don't have a alignment tool, then a new hanger is the cheaper and safer option.

I have had one straightened in the past but it wasn't far out of wonk, Frame maker had no idea what hanger was on it, and certainly no spares kicking around.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you don't have a alignment tool, then a new hanger is the cheaper and safer option.

I have had one straightened in the past but it wasn't far out of wonk, Frame maker had no idea what hanger was on it, and certainly no spares kicking around.
Even a new hanger needs aligning

Top Bottom