Post lockdown rules on cycling in groups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rock bus

Über Member
Apologies where may have been discussed already but I’m a bit confused about the rules coming out of lockdown.
I ‘think’ from 28 March we can cycle in groups when part of a cycling club?
but what are rules on riding just as a group of friends? How many and from when?

Ajax Bay

Guru
British Cycling website gives you the detail for clubs: think it's 15. Otherwise 'rule of six' - from Mon 29 Mar.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If it happens on 29th March, with more details available from the 22nd or soon afterwards:

- Rides of up to 6 are fine
- Rides of up to 15 which are organised by British Cycling registered organisations. I'm guessing names recorded / planned / named ride leader.

BC's details are here: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/a...ews-British-Cycling-update--The-Way-Forward-0
Cycling UK have yet to announce their plans.

Chislenko

Veteran
Been loads of groups out regardless of lockdown. A quick segment check on Strava today showed seven people on a particular segment, me (old git) at nine minutes and six others all miraculously at 7 minutes 31 seconds give or take a second. And of course a quick Strava check shows Rider A rode with Rider B, C etc.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If it happens on 29th March, with more details available from the 22nd or soon afterwards:

- Rides of up to 6 are fine
- Rides of up to 15 which are organised by British Cycling registered organisations. I'm guessing names recorded / planned / named ride leader.

BC's details are here: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/a...ews-British-Cycling-update--The-Way-Forward-0
Cycling UK have yet to announce their plans.
Basically yes but with a bit more detail.

Clubs which are affiliated to, not registered, British Cycling can organize group rides for up to 15 people. Clubs pay to be affiliated to BC. This falls under the umbrella of organised outdoor sport as do cricket, football etc. Affiliated clubs are required to follow the guidance of the sports governing body. If a club is not affiliated to BC my personal belief is that club's rides would be restricted to six.

There is a requirement on clubs to issue Covid-19 secure guidance to members.

There is no requirement that I've been able to find to register names. There is no need for a rider leader but if there is one he/she would be one of the 15. Neither is there a requirement for a planned route but good practice is there should be one - this is best practice under BC general guidance, it's not a Covid thing.

Any other ride is under the "group of six" rule regardless of whether or not the participants belong to a club.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
CyclIng UK have published/updated the wonderfully opaque https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/coro...idance-cycling-uk-member-and-affiliate-groups

It says "group rides of more than six are allowed from 29 March onwards under the organised sport and activity exemption. [...] 15 people [...] absolute maximum for group rides, not a target number, and that people should exercise some discretion and common sense depending on where they are riding."

I interpret that as they would rather you stuck to 6, which you will need to break into for cafe stops at first anyway, but they will back groups up to 15 if needed.

I know someone who leads urban ramblers walks - he was running walks of 15 under that exemption when the more general limit was lower (NOT this lockdown - walks have been suspended for all of this year - will restart soon.

I know someone who leads urban ramblers walks - he was running walks of 15 under that exemption when the more general limit was lower (NOT this lockdown - walks have been suspended for all of this year - will restart soon.
I think that's fine - but he must be quite brave, if that means leading large groups down an urban road at times. The pointing and staring must be off the scale :-/

I go on such things from time to time. Probably not with the same leader as @Blue Hills knows, but you never know. We even crossed paths with an urban Fridays ride on one occasion. We pointed and stared at them.
You never know, london can be an oddly small place. On one of those walks a ride from a local london cycling group i know went past, i recognised at least one rider.

Top Bottom