Post Office Sorting Office Collections

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

Über Member
Just had the ransom demand from the post office before they will deliver my parcel from the US.
Don't mind paying the import duty at all (around £2 by the way) but £8 handling fee for a £20 parcel?
Anyway lesson learned, but my question is...
I was just going to pay the fee online and await delivery but as tomorrow looks like a washout as far as cycling goes I thought I might as well go to the sorting office, pay the fee and hopefully collect my parcel. Just wondering whether it is a simple as that. Is the parcel likely to be there and does anyone know if I will receive it there and then?

classic33

Leg End Member
Where does it say your parcel is in the ransom demand?

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
It doesn't actually say where the parcel is, it just give options for paying online, by post or in person at the sorting office that is about five minutes from where I live. If paying in person it asks you to bring along some i.d so I assume it is so you can take possession of the parcel.
The card just has a reference number, 5 numbers and 2 letters. Can't see P739 anywhere though.

TVC

Just bowl up at the office with the card and your passport/picture driving license and you can pay cash, the parcel will be at the office.

Postmanhat

It doesn't actually say where the parcel is, it just give options for paying online, by post or in person at the sorting office that is about five minutes from where I live. If paying in person it asks you to bring along some i.d so I assume it is so you can take possession of the parcel.
The card just has a reference number, 5 numbers and 2 letters. Can't see P739 anywhere though.

Grey in colour?

We get given those by the callers office to deliver along with the normal post. The packet should be at the normal place you collect from. They are fairly uninformative missives. Had quite a few people chasing me down the street asking what they're supposed to do with them

Postmanhat

I think the Royal Mail bit of the charge is usually only a quid. The rest of it is usually because the sender has worked out how much it's going to cost properly. It's nearly always stuff from the US.

I might be wrong

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Thanks all. I'll go and collect tomorrow.
If anyone is interested I have ordered some "Cat Ears". Going to give them a try, they are supposed to reduce the wind noise in your ears as you ride along. I am hard of hearing at the best of times but sometimes when it is particularly breezy I can not hear any of the conversation when riding alongside someone. I find it a bit embarrassing and frustrating to have to keep saying "sorry what was that?", or even just nodding and laughing and hoping it is the right response. I noticed that if I place my hand just in front of my ear the wind noise goes completely and I can hear much better. So I am hoping these things work after all the expense, worth a try anyway. If not I can always look for some work as an Elvis impersonator, they resemble long black bushy sideburns.
I will report back on them.

Top Bottom