1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

post ride nutrition

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by walker, 13 Jan 2008.

1. walker

walker New Member

After a ride what is best to eat and drink ither that a recovery drink? I Normally go for a big glass of milk (Protein) and maybe some pasta (to replace some carbs). would these choices be correct or should I be aiming to eat simething else?

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Sounds spot on to me, although make sure you are getting enough. I generally go for a banana protein shake and a sandwich which leaves me feeling pretty satiated. The last thing you want is uncontrollable hunger leading to a full on raid of the fridge and cupboards.

3. col

col Veteran

Sounds fine to me too,i understood,in my training years,that there is a 45 minute window,to get some carbs and protien into you,to get maximum recovery,i used to have a pasta salad waiting,with maybe a boiled egg.

4. Anything. When I got back from my ride last weekend I shoved all sorts of stuff into my face. Haribo sweets work especially well for me.
    This is not the best way to do it, mind;). Don't listen to me.

5. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

i usualy have a drink of milk and a banana with a handful of mixed nuts and raisins as soon as i get in.
    straight after a shower i have beans on taost, then drink quite a lot of water/ blackcurrant juice.

6. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Walker, that's peachy, Chocolate milk is highly recommended, I go for strawb/banana Nesquick to give a bit more carb. C+ did the Milk story a while back, hydrates pretty much optimally and has all kinds of other goodies in there to aid rest and repair.

7. andygates

andygates New Member

Crisps! I sweat so much I need to top up my salt before I feel good again.

8. OP
    OP
    walker

walker New Member

cheers all. My portion of pasta is quite large, I normally cover it with chopped cherry tomatoes and some cheese as well.

9. jashburnham

jashburnham New Member

I use this stuff but only after heavy training sessions: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300001063

Seems to have everything you need, and certainly sorted me out after my 70 mile training ride on sat; I bonked 5 miles from home and was shaking like a leaf by the time I got in.

10. col

col Veteran

Nice to hear you have a large portion,covered with cherry toms,but a good wash should sort the cheese problem;):biggrin:

11. OP
    OP
    walker

walker New Member

I am sort of looking to see if I can get the same benifits without have to resort to powders and potions as I think I have enough of those in my diet as it is.

12. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

So what benefits are gained from eating within 45 minutes of excercise? Or should I be asking: what harm is caused if you don't eat within that time?

13. jashburnham

jashburnham New Member

There's a good article about the science here: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/aa081403.htm

14. yello

yello Guru

I drink chocolate milk but I'm not sure it has the "4:1 combo of carbohydrate and protein" mentioned in that article. I'll have to check.

Edit: this article suggests it might

15. johnny

johnny New Member

Banana Rego for me. Swear by the stuff now and its stopping me from getting too skinny. Marvelous!