post ride nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

After a ride what is best to eat and drink ither that a recovery drink? I Normally go for a big glass of milk (Protein) and maybe some pasta (to replace some carbs). would these choices be correct or should I be aiming to eat simething else?

domtyler

Über Member
Sounds spot on to me, although make sure you are getting enough. I generally go for a banana protein shake and a sandwich which leaves me feeling pretty satiated. The last thing you want is uncontrollable hunger leading to a full on raid of the fridge and cupboards.

col

Legendary Member
Sounds fine to me too,i understood,in my training years,that there is a 45 minute window,to get some carbs and protien into you,to get maximum recovery,i used to have a pasta salad waiting,with maybe a boiled egg.

i usualy have a drink of milk and a banana with a handful of mixed nuts and raisins as soon as i get in.
straight after a shower i have beans on taost, then drink quite a lot of water/ blackcurrant juice.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Walker, that's peachy, Chocolate milk is highly recommended, I go for strawb/banana Nesquick to give a bit more carb. C+ did the Milk story a while back, hydrates pretty much optimally and has all kinds of other goodies in there to aid rest and repair.

jashburnham

I use this stuff but only after heavy training sessions: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300001063

Seems to have everything you need, and certainly sorted me out after my 70 mile training ride on sat; I bonked 5 miles from home and was shaking like a leaf by the time I got in.

col

Legendary Member
walker said:
cheers all. My portion of pasta is quite large, I normally cover it with chopped cherry tomatoes and some cheese as well.

Nice to hear you have a large portion,covered with cherry toms,but a good wash should sort the cheese problem;):biggrin:

OP
OP
walker

walker

jashburnham said:
I use this stuff but only after heavy training sessions: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300001063

Seems to have everything you need, and certainly sorted me out after my 70 mile training ride on sat; I bonked 5 miles from home and was shaking like a leaf by the time I got in.

I am sort of looking to see if I can get the same benifits without have to resort to powders and potions as I think I have enough of those in my diet as it is.

PrettyboyTim

So what benefits are gained from eating within 45 minutes of excercise? Or should I be asking: what harm is caused if you don't eat within that time?

yello

I drink chocolate milk but I'm not sure it has the "4:1 combo of carbohydrate and protein" mentioned in that article. I'll have to check.

Edit: this article suggests it might

Top Bottom