Post-winter overhaul... cassette, rear derailleur, and?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeSoap76

Hi,

I've got a 2007 Iron Horse Transit 3.0 which I'm pretty fond of. I'm a big chap and back towards the end of last year I was having problems with spokes going front and back so decided it was time (I've had the bike since new) to invest in some new wheels. I went to my LBS who suggested a Shimano FH-T780 for the rear hub (for the extra strength) which has done me well.

Aside from the wheels, everything is as factory-fitted and starting to get a bit creaky. Now I'm taking the commuting more seriously I figured it might be time to start planning a bit of an overhaul of a few components (especially the ones that have taken a battering this winter) once the weather breaks: a bit of a treat for the old girl. Specifically, the rear cassette and the derailleurs, but the bottom bracket is also on the cards.

The technical specs for the FH-T780 tell me I should be running with a 10-speed cassette rather than the 8-speed I have. They suggest a CS-M771 (11-34). That then takes me to a suggested replacement for the rear derailleur of an RD-M773.

Before I batter on and spend all my cash, is this change of cassette from 8 to 10 a sensible move or am I asking for trouble on this bike? Is there another way?

I know I'm going to have to swap out the shifters as well if I change the derailleurs. Presumably, also the crankset. The cost is fair adding up so I want to make sure I'm not throwing money away.

Thanks

Joe

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like all that is XT equipment.

It's up to you what you do, but swapping to 10 speed will be expensive as you've worked out.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Forget going to 10 speed, especially if it is mostly for commuting. From the sounds of it, your bike just wants a good service with maybe a chain and cassette and in many cases new gear cables and cable outers can transform an older bike.

If your bottom bracket spins freely with no play or grumbles when the chain is off the chainset, then leave it well alone. It will let you know when it is time for a new one and this is not normally a sudden requirement. If you are changing the cassette then this might be a good opportunity to tweak the gearing. If you find it all a bit spinney and rarely use the easiest gears then you could fit a smaller cassette, or if struggling up the hills then go for a mega range type cassette with a bigger big sprocket. There is a good selection of 8spd cassettes available and 8 is plenty.

Why are you thinking of changing the derailleur? If it is working ok then keep it and if not then it doesn't need to be a top of the range one. My commuter has a Deore M591 rear mech and even after about 9k of all weather commuting it still works fine. When I replace it I will either use any old spare I have lying around the workshop, the same again or a 9spd XT, but only when it needs it!

8spd and 9spd are interchangeable by the way.

Don't forget to service the headset as well.

Apart from this you should be good to go :thumbsup:

OP
OP
JoeSoap76

JoeSoap76

Why are you thinking of changing the derailleur?
Honestly? I started looking just at the cassette, which really has seen better days, and only had my head turned by a 10-speed because that's what the spec for the hub says... it snowballed from there.

It may sound weird since I'm obviously not 100% on which components to get (I tend to walk into the LBS and ask for "you know, those things that do that on there" and they translate ;) ), but I'm quite comfortable doing the work once I've got the parts. I don't have the luxury of a garage or shed and oil in the house is a no-no so I've been waiting for the rain to stop so I can get in about it for a proper tyres-to-saddle service. That and a cassette should hopefully sort most of my problems (as you say, with new cables which are also waiting for a dry day).

Looking at the cost stacking up earlier I knew I was losing the plot... just needed somebody impartial to tell me I was being a daffy! Thanks! I think you just saved me spending two-years' of cycling budget in one blow! ;)

Stephen C

Über Member
I recently overhauled my bike, stayed with an 8-speed but chose a cassette that gave me more mid-range choice as there are no big hills around here. Also got new jockey wheels, chain and chain rings, upgrading the cables this weekend with new bar tape. Bike feels like new for under 100 pounds!

MikeG

Guru
Post winter, hey?

You sure? I mean, I hope you are right, but I've seen snow in June in the Midlands.......

OP
OP
JoeSoap76

JoeSoap76

Right, so a bit of digging (and advice from the shop) and I've found a new 8-speed 11-28T cassette that's got a bit more range than my old one but is still compatible with the discontinued derailleur I have. Also got a new chain and I have the cables. I'll strip it down, give it the clean of its life and see where this gets me.
Thanks again for the help/advice - saved me a tidy packet. :smile:

Top Bottom