posting a bike via courier service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Hi

How much does it cost to send a bike via courier (within UK)?

Anyone ever done this, e.g. Ebay sale?

Did you have to dismantle the bike? What about boxing it, etc?

Thanks

Noodley

I was about 20 quid a few (3?) years ago...Took off wheels, turned handlebars, removed pedals, and used lots of bubble wrap and foam.

Got a bike box from LBS and sent it by Royal Mail. Simple.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Try using senditnow and online service that uses major couriers to collect and deliver parcels.

I'd recommend getting a bike box from your local bike shop as it offers a greater degree of protection - besides I'm not sure if a courier would collect a naked bike. Partial dismantling is helpful if you want to get the bike in the box.

The good news - Cost varies between 10 and 13 quid depending on the speed of the service that you want.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
vernon said:
Try using senditnow and online service that uses major couriers to collect and deliver parcels.

I'd recommend getting a bike box from your local bike shop as it offers a greater degree of protection - besides I'm not sure if a courier would collect a naked bike. Partial dismantling is helpful if you want to get the bike in the box.

The good news - Cost varies between 10 and 13 quid depending on the speed of the service that you want.
Interesting (and cheap!). Have you used SendItNow before?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Maz said:
Interesting (and cheap!). Have you used SendItNow before?

Yes to send a Dawes Galaxy frame to an Ebay purchaser.

It was a no fuss transaction.

I was lucky enough to already have a bike box having bought a bike of a CTC forum. Bike shops will be more than happy tpo give you a box as they are charge for waste collection.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I shipped my bike to Singapore and it cost a bomb, fortunately the company was paying. I did have a moment when the truck arrived and the box was upside down, but I'd packed it well and it was OK. I had it as checked baggage on the way back and it was much better!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I sent a large Cube hybrid from Birmingham to Fife a few weeks back using parcel2go, cost £14. Box from LBS, removed the pedals, front wheel and bar.
It was ParcelForce that actually did the delivery, great service.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I bought one back from America in the 90s - minimal dismantling to get it into a box and packed it with some padding. Had to check it on the plane and last I saw of it some herbert was turning the box over and over rather than lift one end and drag. Made it back alright though.

Top Bottom